Chapter 27

As the excitement died down or rather as the melatonin took effect, I must have drifted off because when I opened my eyes again I was no longer where I was when I closed them. Half laying on a bed looks like Alexander's at home except that the sheets are white instead of dark blue, I sit up to look around the room I'm in. It has a master bedroom-like feel which makes me reminisce about times when I was younger and Dad had to make short trips to Italy or Rio D'janero.

We'd travel by plane during the day since I still stayed up all night back then in fear of who might visit my bed unknowingly and as a result, I always had lesser energy during the day resulting in naps in cupboards or in the laundry room on a pile of dirty clothes which made a good opportunity for Dad to take me on a plane without too much fuss.

This bedroom looks similar to the room I'd share with the guys during those kinds of trips and now that I recall I was terrified of sleeping in such proximity with these boys that I spent most of the flight crying in the corner of the room or locked in the toilet.

It got so bad that Dad stopped bringing me on planes and left me in the care of Adam who was more than happy to stay in Georgia to take care of me.

I was glad to stay with him...until I found out what they were doing behind my back which led to me leaving the house.

"I see you're awake," Alexander's voice reaches me causing me to look in the direction his voice came from. "Are you alright? You went out like a light."

"I'm fine," I croak, my throat drier than a dessert.

"Are you hungry?" He asks, leaning against the closed door. "The flight attendants are going to take orders soon, also, you didn't eat much of dinner earlier."

Right, dinner with the Whites was less than enjoyable.

Nodding, I slip out from under the covers, swaying slightly as I walk unsteadily to the door, my legs still half asleep. Catching me just as I trip on nothing, I gasp as his arms wrap around my midsection, pressing himself against me. My cheeks heat at the contact.

"We better get out there before your brothers riot," He clears his throat, setting me right on my feet before opening the door for me. "After you."

Brushing down the front of my dress, I head out of the in-flight bedroom to be greeted by my brothers who are all grinning from ear to ear as I take my seat trying to listen to all of their chattering at once. I'll be honest, I was barely listening as I watched Alexander walk past his seat and head towards the in-flight bar table which is without a doubt quieter than his seat. 

The flight attendant came by to take my order. I chose grilled chicken breast with steamed vegetables instead of steak and mashed potatoes. While she was there I also ordered some water.

This is when my sleepy but clearer mind, realises that Theo isn't with us, making me ask "Guys...is Theo still in the toilet?"

Will and Seth glance at each other before walking to the toilet and opening the door to which out stumbles a disoriented but still breathing Theo who straightens his suit jacket while glaring at Will and Seth.

"Thank you, little sister, for actually remembering my existence," He speaks, sounding businesslike but kind of teasing as well. "Humph! I have lived with the rest of you for twenty-two years and none of you remembered that I was in that toilet."

Adam's chest rumbles behind me as he laughs lightly, "We knew you were in there brother. We just didn't care."

A bunch of 'burn's and 'oh's fill the compartment and I giggle lightly at Theo's childish reaction as he stomps his foot and all.  Everyone laughs at the madness that is in my family as my brothers poke fun at their second youngest sibling.

Glancing over at Alexander, my heart sinks as I watch him drink at the bar. Alone. Conflicted tear my eyes away from him to focus on the conversation before me. He can join us if he wants, my subconscious reasons with me. Noticing my inner turmoil, Theo makes eye contact with me and gives me a little push, in the form of a chin nudge in my fianceé's direction.

Okay...I guess my decision has been made for me.

I head towards Alexander mid-conversation with the eyes of my brothers following me despite continuing to speak about whatever it is they are talking about. Upon reaching the bar, I get a foothold on the sturdy-looking metal rail below the bar top to grab a glass from the tray just peeking over the counter.

Looking over at the many bottles within arms reach of me, I decided to just take the bottle he was pouring his drink from. Scotch. I notice that glances briefly at me before going back to his drink.

"Something wrong?" I ask stepping off the rail as I pour myself some of the scotch. "I've never actually seen you drink before."

Raising the cup to my lips, I am surprised, to say the least when he covers the rim of my glass with his hand, giving him a questioning look he responds by taking my glass and placing it aside. 

"I drink occasionally," He replies, downing his glass. 

"As do I," I lie, reaching for my glass only to have it exchanged with his empty one. 

"You don't like to drink," He says in explanation, downing his glass, he nods over to the guys. "You also took melatonin about eight hours ago."

"Fair point," I aquise, trying to jump onto the barstool next to him but I fail miserably resulting in some chuckles from my brothers who are watching us. 

Jumping again to get on the seat, I sigh heavily when I slip just past the edge of it so I am ready to just give up trying to get on the chair when Alexander hoists me up by my waist and plants me firmly in the middle of the seat next to him.

"You've got my attention now," He says, raising his glass to his lips, and taking a sip of my drink."What's on your mind?"

"You looked lonely," I reply honestly, fiddling with my hands. 

"I can assure you I prefer the quiet," Alexander chuckles, popping a peanut from the dish in front of him into his mouth. 

"If that's the case, I'll leave you to your quiet then," I smirk deviously, grasping his gaze on me. "Unless you're up for a conversation."

He shrugs in reply as he takes another sip, "Let's talk."

"It's after dinner," I state as of a matter factly.

Taking another sip, his stormy grey eyes shift to look at me briefly, the indifference in his eye sends a chill down my spine, "Yes it is."

Is that how he's going to play this? 

"Coyness does not suit you, Alexander, "I state nonchalantly, rolling my eyes.

"And what do you think suits me, Janette?" He replies, turning to face me.

"I prefer it when you are straightforward with me," I murmur, as he leans in tantalizing slow motion towards me. 

"And what is it you would like me to be straightforward about?" He asks, his scotch-laden breath fanning over my face. 

Is it possible to get drunk on alcohol fumes? I think frantically to myself as I begin to get lightheaded.  

"What am I to you?" I breathe, just as he is about to close the distance between our lips and my eyes flutter close as I brace for impact.

"Excuse me, Mr Holt. The calculations are done and it would take an estimated three million to get ZhengJiang Ltd. out of bankruptcy, this is not including the costs of renovation and employment."

Hairs on the back of my neck stood at attention as I heard a voice I hadn't heard in well over ten years. Turning around in my chair, I met the russet-brown eyes of Todd Anderson.

Daniello's Capo Bastone's second son.