Chapter 28

Snapping away from Alexander like a rubber band, Todd and I stare at each other, not knowing what to say. The last time I saw him, he was in the getaway car outside the Sangue Nero mansion in Italy, never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd meet again after that night.

And yet, here he is.

"Anderson, may I introduce to you my fiancé," Alexander introduces us and not knowing how close to the edge of the chair I was, I ended up falling to the floor. "And she has fallen. You alright, Janette?"

Nodding my head, I grab the bar stool for support as I heave myself onto my feet. Rubbing my behind, I force a smile, "I'm fine, Alexander. Um...nice to meet you..."

I have no idea what else to say...

"Todd Anderson," he introduces himself to me, holding his hand out for a handshake. "It's a pleasure to be your acquaintance."

An acquaintance, eh? Well, I didn't acknowledge that I know him so I'm guessing he's playing along. Taking his hand, I feel a shiver run up my arm and down my spine, as his russet brown eyes stare intensely into my chocolate brown ones. He recognises me though.

"Mr Holt," Todd nods to his boss, letting my hand go, his face all serious and tense like he's worried about something. "Future Mrs Holt."

He spat that title out as if it were acid on his tongue. Walking away, there's a deja vu like a pang in my heart as I remember the little version of him walking away from me as I boarded a van to take me to an orphanage, my legs turn into a concoction of inconsistent jelly and I place a hand on the bar chair for support.

I wonder what his job is...working for Alexander and all...

"Hey, what's his job? Mr Anderson," I ask Alexander who has gotten off the chair and is standing in front of me.

Clearing his throat, Alexander answers shortly, "Todd is my assistant."

"Assistant... "I trail off, thinking deeply.

Leaning down towards me, Alexander captures my lips in a kiss so quick I almost missed it but it does break me out of my thoughts. Frowning at him, I am about to retort something regarding the need to put a hold on this kissing to keep up public appearances when I am interrupted.

The flight attendant who took my order earlier comes by and sets down the food in front of us, chicken for me and steak for Alexander. Without even asking if I wanted to sit by him, Alexander hoists me back onto the uncomfortable low backrested bar chair once more before taking a seat himself next to me. Rolling my eyes, I open the plastic packaging around the metallic-looking but still plastic spoon, fork and knife and am about to begin eating when half a steak is plopped onto my plate and half my chicken is taken away.

Looking to Alexander who cuts into his steak as if nothing happened, I give a small chuckle and give his steak back to him in exchange for his mashed potato. He doesn't seem to mind this since he says nothing of it.

"Awww..." Theo whispers very loudly to the rest of my brothers who have all quietened down. A bright flash goes off making me wince at how bright it was. "This moment where the boss isn't a hostile bear with a headache must be commemorated!"

Needless to say, he was thrown back into the toilet again, this time however by Alexander.

I drink from the already half-drunk glass of water given to me by the flight attendant to hide my smile of amusement as Alexander begins to talk business with my brothers while eating, pretending that he didn't just lock their second youngest brother in the in-flight bathroom.

As the flight wore on, my question never got answered as business took over the main conversation on the plane and seeing as I had no business in listening to the boring business lingo, I made myself scarce by occupying myself with Alexander's laptop which I take to the seating area of the plane away from the bar where the business talks are ongoing.