one

~hey guys! so this is my first actual book in years, and i definitely plan on finishing it. that said, some chapters may be longer and may take longer to finish, so i can't promise i'll update fast, but i'm trying to at least twice a week. this book may be very triggering at some parts, and i'll put a warning before the chapter if it is. this one will be, with self harm, suicide attempts, homophobia, and the setting could be in some ways too. i hope you enjoy this though, i want it to be light hearted after getting through all of the sad stuff. it starts off kind of slow, but it'll get better as i get into it. thank you!~

first came the sound.

stanley could hear, but he couldn't see or move.

he heard faint beeping beside him.

next, he was able to open eyes. they shot open, and he stared at the room in front of him. this couldn't be real.

he looked down at the gown he was dressed in, unsure of how he ended up in it.

he sat up as the thoughts started rushing back to him, tears coming to his eyes.

why was he here? he shouldn't have been. he didn't want to be. he wanted to sleep. he wanted to stop crying, he didn't want to feel this. he had been numb for so long before this, and although he hated that, he began to long for that feeling. he wanted it all to go away. that was the point. that was the plan all along.

he began to sob even more, noticing his father sleeping in the chair beside him. unable to hold it back, his sobs became audible, catching the attention of a nurse as the curtain opened.

"hi stanley." she said, with an empathetic smile. "i know this is hard, but we have someone you can talk to, okay? would you be able to do that?"

he didn't respond, all he could do was sob.

he wasn't supposed to be here.

"we'll have a crisis counselor here as soon as possible, she can listen. we need you to tell her everything." she said, almost sounding as if it was rehearsed. "mr. uris?" she said a little louder, trying to wake his father up.

stanley began to panic as his eyes opened. he sat up and immediately looked at stan, his face softening.

"i'll leave you two alone for a bit." she said, closing the curtain.

stan looked at him, tears still pouring out of his eyes.

god, he really shouldn't be here. he can't be. this can't be real.

"stanley..." he said trailing off. "i just-" he paused. "why, stanley?"

he couldn't respond. he started shaking, the sobs becoming louder.

he gave him a concerned but troubled look, as if he didn't know what to do.

he wasn't supposed to put him in this situation. he wasn't supposed to be here. it would've been easier for him. for everyone.

his dad stared, waiting for him to speak, but he just didn't. there was nothing he could say.

his father stood up, leaving the room, never returning.

the curtain opened and a nurse appeared, carrying a tray.

"i bought your lunch for you, stan-" she paused. "would you like me to order your anxiety meds, see if they can give you some?" she said, noticing how much the boy was shaking.

he nodded his head, trying to control his sobs.

after what seemed like forever, he got his medicine and the counselor came to see him.