25. A point of no return

I literally had to do nothing for the big day. Every time I tried to help, I was pushed out. My house was filled with planners, official and unofficial, all week. Starting from Luna to Sara, everyone had their own opinion. Did they not learn 'too many cooks......la la la" in school?

So, here I am, after whining for hours, I finally have a job, take Dan to pick up his tuxedo for tomorrow. Ray was driving us to our destination.

We were thirty seconds into the ride when Ray pulled the brakes hard.

"What the eff, Ray" I yelled, pushing my now messed up hair away to check on Dan "Are you alright baby?"

Dan nodded and went back to playing with his lego. Really?

"Not my fault" he yelled back and pointed ahead "That crazy friend of yours has a death wish" Evan was standing in front of our car with a stupid pout "Wait do you guys even die from normal accidents?"

I rolled my eyes "Haven't heard of any such case yet" I rolled down my window "What do you want?" I yelled at Evan, the sun was already setting; we couldn't afford to be late.

He quickly opened the back door and adjusted himself next to a grinning Dan "Hey buddy" he high-fived Dan.

"How do you die then" Ray loves to live in his own bubbles.

"What are you doing here Evan?" I asked again, ignoring Ray.

"Take me along" he leaned against his seat "I'm bored. Mom and Emma aren't in their senses today, they are creeping me out"

"Fine. Let's go" I resigned.

"How do you die then?" Ray repeated, as he drove.

"Seriously?" I glared at him "You're still stuck on that?"

"Why, Mr. Saint?" Evan leaned forward "Are you going to attempt to murder me in my sleep?"

Ray rolled his eyes "Just curious, although if I had to use my knowledge of your kind to kill someone, it wouldn't have been you. You have no value to me, dead or alive. Your brother on the other hand is-" I clamped my palm on Ray's mouth to stop him. He sent me a questioning glance before continuing to look ahead.

"What about my brother" Evan challenged.

"You don't threaten a king in front of his second-in-command, Ray" I glared at him. I am glad that Dan has dozed off.

"Oh" he said after I removed my hand "I forgot that yours isn't a democracy" he smirked.

"Yeah" Evan eased back "it's good that you're a human. If you were any other creature, you would have been dead by now"

"Elaborate" Ray said in a business like tone. God, they love doing that.

Ray and Evan have developed a strange friendship. They are rude to each other every time they open their mouth. Yet, like today, they have no problem in being in the same space and bickering. They enjoy it.

"My wolf detects no threat from you" Evan said yawning "it's like 'You have no value to me, dead or alive'" He smirked after he got the desired reaction from Ray.

"So how do you die?" Ray asked for the third time.

I decided to put an end to his curiosity "We used to die in wars back in the days. Now, we don't fight for territories much, it's all modern day paperwork and long meetings. So we usually just grow old, very old and die naturally"

"How boring" Ray muttered "I thought it would be something different from us. Something interesting"
"We are half human too" I felt the need to remind him.