Chapter eighteen: Best thing I never had

Disclaimer: I don't own anything aside from the plot. Characters are created by the brilliant J.K Rowling. Harry Potter A/U Fanfiction. Enjoy! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's only been two days since Hermione and Draco decided to go public with their relationship and they've already made front page; it was not intentional though, they were just having dinner at some secluded restaurant in Diagon Alley when a reporter from the Daily Prophet spotted them. The couple didn't even notice their pictures being taken, so when they both saw the Sunday edition of the Prophet, they were both shell shocked. So now, here they are, standing inside Hermione's sitting room on a Monday morning, deciding on how they will face the world after the media frenzy.

"Are you sure about this? You really don't have to take me to work, it's not as if I can't go there alone..." Hermione asked nervously.

Draco smiled; "I'm 100% sure" he affirmed.

Hermione nodded; she then took a deep breath and squared her shoulders; "Let's go, I don't want to be late."

Draco can't help but chuckle upon noticing his girlfriend's uptight demeanor; "Loosen up love, you're just going to work not going into a war."

Hermione laughed nervously; "I know, it's just a little bit un-nerving"

Draco leaned forward and planted a kiss on Hermione's forehead; "Relax, it will be alright" he said.

"Okay"

Draco pulled Hermione to his chest and wrapped his arms securely on her waist; "Time to face the music love,"

"Apparate away" Hermione said.

oOo

Leila Brown barged inside her daughter's room unannounced and stood beside her bed; she placed her hands on her hips and stared at her daughter disapprovingly. "Parvati fire called, she wants to know if you're coming in today"

Lavender pulled the duvet over her head; "Tell her that I'm not feeling well"

Leila rolled her eyes; she then shifted closer to the bed and yanked the blanket in one swift movement.

"What are you doing?!" Lavender yelped.

Leila threw the blanket at the foot of the bed before turning her gaze back to her daughter; "You've been sulking the whole weekend, get up and just do something" she said sternly.

Lavender sat up from her bed and glared at her mother; "I'm not sulking!"

Leila placed her hands back to her hips; "You are and it's not helping your case at all"

"I don't know what you're talking about" Lavender huffed irritably.

Leila threw her daughter an unimpressed look; "Have you read the Daily Prophet?"

"No"

"You should, there are some interesting news that you might want to see."

Lavender rolled her eyes; "Just tell me what you read" she said petulantly.

Leila let out a sly smile; "Your biggest roadblock just eliminated herself voluntarily"

"What do you mean?" Lavender asked, her eyes widening with curiosity.

Leila flicked her wand; "Accio Daily Prophet" she said. She caught the zooming news paper with her hand and threw it at her daughter's lap; "Read" she ordered.