Chapter 10:The Real Magnus Bane

Alec was dragged and tossed into a small cell beside the one that held Magnus. His lover jumped up from the bed, and looked through the small barred window on the wall that separated their cells.

"Alec?" He asked, seeing his boyfriend lying motionless on the floor. "Alec, baby? Can you hear me?"

The Shadowhunter stirred a bit, and a small moan of pain escaped his lips.

'Alec! Please, darling, wake up." When he did not, Magnus sighed and studied him. He couldn't believe that only a year ago he had met the shy, self-conscious shadowhunter, and now they were prisoners to the Seelie Queen and having a kid. He felt guilty, but at the same time he was almost glad that Alec was there with him. He had been so afraid to lose him.

Alec stirred again and opened his eyes. He took a quick note of where he was and sat up, regretting it a moment later when he felt his pounding headache.

"M-Magnus?" Alec looked around, not seeing the warlock, and wondering if he was hearing things.

"I'm over here, baby." Magnus said.

Alec looked up to the small window, and gasped at what he saw. Magnus looked awful. What had the fae done to him? Not only was his hair messy and his makeup running, but he looked so...helpless. How long had they been here? He could remember talking with the Seelie Queen...

"I thought I might never see you again." Magnus whispered.

"Magnus...how long have we been here?" Alec asked, slowly standing and supporting himself on the wall that separated them.

"A few days maybe...It's hard to keep track of time." Magnus maneuvered one of his slim hands through the bars and stroked Alec's cheek. "Do you remember what they did to you?" He asked.

"I...I remember talking with the Seelie Queen after you were taken away...but that's it..." Alec placed his hand over Magnus's.

"When I asked the guards about you, they said that they were running tests on you..." Alec looked down at himself, but besides his headache, he didn't really feel different.

"An-and what did they do to you?" He asked hesitantly, afraid of the answer.

"Nothing really...I have been spending my time here, trying to figure everything out."

"And?" Alec prompted.

"And I figured out that they must have done something to me, or there's something about this place that isn't letting me use my magic..." Magnus pulled his hand back through the bar and examined his both of his hands. "I can still feel my magic...I just can't seem to harness it..." He muttered, mostly to himself.

"So we're basically stuck here until they get what they want." Alec concluded. He sighed and leant his forehead against the bars.

"And what they want is our child..." Magnus said, biting his lip and turning from the window.

"Magnus...' Alec tried to sound soothing, and fit his hand through the bars to place on Magnus's shoulder.

Magnus shrugged his hand off and placed his own hand on his stomach, holding back tears of anger and sadness.

"I-I can't!" he cried quietly, "I can't let them do this...I won't, damn it."

Alec was taken aback. Whether it was the pregnancy hormones, or something else, Alec had never heard Magnus sound so determined and broken at the same time. Magnus was known for his arrogant attitude and flashy personality, but this was different...this was the real, raw and exposed Magnus Bane.

Magnus took a shuddering breath and continued in a whisper. "I have done so many wrongs...I sometimes feel as if all of my life has been one big mistake. I have hurt so many people, and I have disappointed even more." He took another breath, and turned around to look back at his boyfriend. "But you...You are the only person I have ever known, in eight-hundred years, who loves me and who I can be myself around and not be a disappointment-not be a mistake...and I will do everything I can to make sure that I do right by this child. I have a chance to bring another person into this world, and I will not let them be raised as some sort of weapon."

Alec stood, frozen, and a small, sad smile made its way onto his face. "Love doesn't even begin to describe what I feel for you, Magnus Bane." He whispered, "And I have no doubt that we'll get out of here—with our child—if we stay strong."

They stood there, wanting so badly just to hold each other, but having to settle with intertwined fingers. It was quite a while later when they were disturbed by a loud bang as the door to Magnus's cell opened. Magnus whirled about, and two of the three fae standing there approached him. They were both well-built, and Magnus backed away from them, soon finding himself trapped in the corner. He pushed the first fae off, as he tried to grab his arm, and then the other one, trying to get out of the corner.

"Stop your struggling, Bane, you have nowhere to run to." One of them said as he made a grab for him again.

Once the two fae had him pinned down to the wall, the third approached him, pulling out a syringe from somewhere within his jacket.

"Get away from him!" Alec yelled through the bars, causing the fae with the needle to turn and glare at him.

"Silence, Shadowhunter." He ordered. Magnus stopped struggling momentarily as he regarded the fae with surprise.

"You! You're that fae who got attacked but the ravenor demon. I healed you. Fykien, isn't it?"

"Silence, Bane, you have no right to address me by name." He said, and avoided the warlock's gaze as he pulled up Magnus's sleeve.

"Is this really how you repay me for saving your life?" Magnus asked, trying to pull his arm away from the needle.

"I do not owe any debts to a warlock." He said, and injected the syringe swiftly. Magnus hissed, and looked into the fae named Fykien's eyes with a steady gaze.

"Why were you asked to do this? What does it do?" He asked calmly.

"It shall speed up the development of the child." He stated simply, removing the empty needle, and signaling for the other fae to let him go. They left swiftly, and before Magnus knew it he was standing alone in his cell.

"Are you okay, Magnus?" Alec asked from the window. Magnus nodded, and sat down on his bed.

"I...I am so weak without my magic." He realized, looking back down at his hands in dismay.

Alec said nothing, studying his boyfriend and he pitied himself. All of a sudden Magnus's hands flew to his stomach, and he gasped in pain.

"What is it?" Alec asked, frightened.

Magnus squeezed his eyes shut and gritted his teeth. Waves of pain shot through him from his stomach. He wrapped his arms around his middle tightly, and gave a little whimper as the pain started to grow. His breathing rate quickened and he felt his heartbeat speed up. He gasped again, doubling over, and fell to the floor. He was in such pain that he couldn't hear the Alec's desperate pleas. He curled up in a fatal position and grasped at his stomach. Violent shivers started to rake through his body, and he let out an agonized scream as his body convulsed. He managed to get one last look at Alec before the darkness consumed him.

To be continued...