Chapter 13: Charlie

Magnus awoke wrapped in Alec's arms. He snuggled a bit closer to his Shadowhunter and sighed contently. They were safe, their child was safe, and everything was perfect. Alec was jolted awake when Christie began to wail, and Alec, realizing what the noise was, gave a small chuckle and lay back on the bed.

"Good morning, babe." Magnus whispered.

"Not exactly the awakening I was expecting..." The Shadowhunter sighed, kissing the top of Magnus' head.

"I suppose you should be getting used to it." Magnus grinned, thinking of Alec waking up to check on their kid. Alec pulled away slightly to look down at Magnus' stomach.

"How long until...?"

"Very soon, apparently. Scared?" Magnus looked up into Alec's bright blue eyes.

"I think I should be the one asking you that." Alec said, and gently pulled him into a quick kiss before sitting up. "We should go and see what Elfred and Buddy are up to." Alec suggested, and without another word they made their way into the kitchen to find the two men sitting and drinking coffee. Elfred held Christie in his arms and she was playing with his not-so-spiky hair that hung almost to his shoulders when it was not gelled up.

"Alec, Magnus! Come, sit. Do either of you want a coffee?" Buddy asked. They each agreed to coffee (both black with a small bit of sugar), and sat down at the dinner table. Magnus started cooing over Christie and Alec just smiled in admiration at his boyfriend. He would make a great father...mother...he could tell.

After they were all seated, Magnus cleared his throat and turned to Elfred. "I was thinking last night about our little...meeting in the Seelie Court, and I was wondering why you asked her to give us a wish...what exactly did you have in mind?" Elfred sighed and shared a look with Buddy before turning back to Alec and Magnus.

"I...it's not something I want to force you into, but Buddy told me that you were worried about Alexander's...mortality, and fae are the only race who can grant immortality. I...it was just a thought." Elfred seemed almost ashamed of bringing it up, and Magnus glanced worriedly at Alec to see his reaction.

Alec was silent, deep in thought. He looked up at Magnus, biting his lip.

"Hold that thought, Alec. I think we should let you talk about this in private." Buddy got up from the table and he and Elfred left the room. Magnus looked at Alec expectantly.

"Magnus...I...it's not that I don't want to, but...my family and my friends...I don't want to have to leave them." Magnus nodded silently. He got up from the table and gave Alec a sad smile.

"I understand, Alec." He said quietly, and turned away.

"Magnus, wait! I...I want to spend the rest of my life with you, you know that, and I love you more than anything and anyone, but I just need some time...Okay?" Magnus turned back to Alec and the Shadowhunter could see that his boyfriend was hurt.

"Time is all I seem to have." Magnus said with another small smile. Alec stood and kissed him. Magnus pulled away quickly and Alec was immediately concerned.

"Magnus...What is it? I'm sorry if-"

"Alec!" Magnus interrupted him, gasping out his name. Alec placed a gentle hand on his arm and tried to get him to look at him.