Chapter 14: Their Unexpected Miracle

~An epilogue~

Magnus slowly made his way into the kitchen of his flat in Brooklyn. It had been two weeks since the birth of Charlie, and they had decided to move back into their apartment. Magnus's stomach was almost fully healed from giving birth with the help of Buddy's magic, but it was still sore. Magnus sat down across from his fiancé at the table and helped himself to some coffee.

"How long have you been up?" Magnus asked, studying Alec as he fed Charlie.

"Charlie woke me up an hour ago. He quieted down right away, though." Alec pulled the bottle away from the baby and set it down on the table. Magnus held out his arms and took the small bundle. He looked down with mild curiosity as Charlie rubbed his eyes. "Do you find it odd that he hasn't opened his eyes yet?" Alec asked, also watching the baby's movements.

"Not really...I'm afraid the reason might be that he inherited my signature...I have learnt that the world is many times brighter to my eyes than to a normal mundane's. It must be just a bit too bright for him." Magnus pulled the small hand away from the baby's eyes. "Why won't you open up?" Magnus asked Charlie in his usual baby-talking voice. Charlie made a sound of discomfort and squeezed his eyes shut before attempting to open them again. "Alec, come over here." Magnus said, gesturing for the Shadowhunter to join him.

"What is it?" Alec asked, coming over and standing behind him.

"Look." Magnus said.

A sliver of Charlie's eyes could be seen from under his lids. He opened them a little wider and Magnus gasped. Magnus' biggest fear had been that Charlie would inherit his signature, and the baby had, but instead of his eyes being green-gold, he had bright blue ones. Alec was also amazed. The child looked so much like Magnus with the almond-shaped eyes and the golden skin, but he also looked like him with the bright blue eyes and the messy black hair.

"He's so..." Magnus let the sentence hang. Neither knew how to word it, but they were both thinking the same thing. Charlie was their little creation, their little gift...their unexpected miracle.