Part XIII

The Great Hall was full to bursting as she slipped between the tall stone pillars unseen

The Great Hall was full to bursting as she slipped between the tall stone pillars unseen. The sound from the stage of Azurian musicians demanded her attention, but she had to make sure she didn't lose him. He was clothed in gold of course, but a few others were too. Today's celebrations had not afforded them the chance to speak, but she took heart from the fact that his eyes had found hers more than once.

She could not tell what the look in his eyes was, when she had caught it; whether it was mere curiosity - the only living princess of Calate was not paraded often, unmarried noblewomen were as cloistered as priestesses - or whether it was something more.

In Fara's case, being hidden from the world suited her. She had no desire to be put on show. She wanted to hide. She'd always been good at hiding. In hiding she was safe. Being seen came with too much danger.

But tonight she had to be seen.

She not only had to be seen, but she also had to capture the attention of the most desirable prince in all of the four realms. A prince who was already promised to another.

Panos was across the room, surrounded by his men, observing the Azurian courtesans with far more than mere curiosity. She could not blame her brother, they were beautiful creatures. Lithe bodies sprayed in gold, rich lengths of hair inlaid with jewels, mouths covered demurely with silk as was their custom. Fara had been hypnotised as they'd first entered the hall, the sound of the large Vielle played slowly and with great skill by the principal musician, to the movement of their bodies.

Father sat surveying the room from his marble chair, deep in his cups but seemingly entertained by the jovial King Sylvan and his attractive Queen. Valdr, of course, sat closed off from everyone else except Daphine, who tonight was a picture of austere beauty in a dazzling viridian gown. She leaned close and whispered into his ear seductively. He made no reaction as he observed the room, callous and indifferent. But Valdr was not indifferent to Azura. A 'race of wanton, frivolous, and tawdry fools.' He had thrown at father after the announcement of tonight's gala. He held them in contempt. But then, Valdr held everyone in contempt. Even himself.

Sometimes she wondered how different her brother would be if he had been born with a soul. If he were capable of love and empathy. Of warmth and desire and the ability to feel happiness. But nothing existed within him but darkness. She was certain of it.

The sweat slid down her spine as she skipped forward, sliding herself between two groups of laughing Azurians into the main space of the great hall. Bodies danced and moved together and the scents which hung together between them were exotic and forbidden. She was gripped suddenly by an unseen reveller and spun around to face a tall dark-skinned Azurian dressed in a fine burgundy tunic, his neck draped with outlandish jewels. He lifted her up into the air and spun her around before continuing onto the next female. The panic rose as she stood there, exposed. Her face was covered but she could not risk being noticed by father or Valdr so she skirted back to the rear of the room. Keeping her eyes on where Prince Galyn sat, she moved closer toward him. Seated with a collective of finely dressed Azurians surrounding him on all sides, both male and female, he spoke loudly and gestured theatrically, causing his crowd to cheer and laugh, and his men to slap his back in celebration. She took a moment just to observe him, unseen.