Part XXXI

Her heart seemed to shrivel in her chest

She could not obey him for she could not move. Her body felt like a limpet against the shore, clinging and desperate. How long had he known she was there? Watching him. Watching them. Her bones felt soft from shame.

When he turned his head she saw for the first time that his eyes were warm, not cold, and it gave her the courage she needed to peel herself away from the rock. He watched her keenly as she moved out of the shadow of the inner cavern and through the water toward him.

'It seems Orrin was correct — you are a spy?' He said. There was a hint of playfulness about his tone. He was enjoying her discomfort.

Fara shook her head. 'I... I was not spying.' He raised an eyebrow and she blushed harder. 'That is to say, it was not my intent to spy.'

'Tell me, princess, did you glean anything of import that you might use against me?'

'Nothing that I did not already know.'

His gaze narrowed. 'Which is?'

She longed to know how he might react to the mention of it, how much his eyes might reveal. Curiosity compelled her on.

'That Vala is very much in love with you,' she said quietly.

He stiffened, a flash of irritation sparking in his eyes. 'Then it is fortunate that she will be cured of the affliction soon enough...'

Vala's resentment. Her distrust. She understood it then. Theodan could not feel the same as she, and Vala knew it.

Of course, you and your beloved prince could not possibly conceive of an existence where you cannot have what and whom your heart desires.

'Say the words burning on your tongue,' He demanded, taking her by surprise.

So many words burned on her tongue. Why do I no longer yearn for your end as I once did? Why does my body know when you are close to it? Why does my blood look for you in each heartbeat?

'You do not return her feelings.' Were the words she chose, her voice tempered, and careful.

'Is that a question?'

'Yes.'

'Then you now believe me to be capable of such a thing?' His eyes glittered. A small smile pulling at the corners of his elegant mouth.

'I believe you capable of almost anything, Leoth.'

He looked at her a long time. The cool blue light shining upward from beneath made it look as though he were made from the moon itself. His high cheekbones kissed with a flush from the heat of the water, his thick dark hair sleek and wet. When his gaze lowered to her lips, his mouth parted slightly and she felt heat rush to her own cheeks, a strange pull of remembrance whispering through her body.