Part XXX

Her equal

Her equal.

Even if he were bled dry and crushed to dust, his remains scattered upon an eastern wind to be born again in Calate's realm he would not come close to such a thing. This female, loved by princes and kings, borne of a queen. Grace where he was savage. Noble where he was merciless.

He could never hope to be any kind of equal to her.

He watched her walk with sure foot and regal poise toward the council. Though she hid it well, he could sense her fear. The potent sweetness of her Calatian blood thumping wildly through her veins, a cavalry of frightened horses stampeding toward battle.

The others could sense it too, it sang a low hum that echoed off the walls around the chamber.  He moved so that he could stay close behind her, no further than an arm's length away so that he might shield her from what may come.

'Princess of Calate, you are welcomed before us,' the High Visier said. 'It has been many moons since a human last stood inside these walls.'

'Then I am humbled, court of Leoth,' Fara's voice did not waver as she looked each of them in the eye and a flare of pride shot through him.

'Princess, before we can begin, we must beg your forgiveness for our servant's offence against you. A shameful violation of the laws which guide His most glorious court.'

Paeris stood in the same spot where Theodan had released him, confused and horrified at what was now unfolding.

'It would be unjust to hold the whole court liable for the actions of only one,' came Fara's measured response.

The Visier smiled faintly. 'Your beneficence does you credit, Princess of Calate.' Turning her attention on Paeris, her expression grew dark. 'Paeris of Mennir, you have broken the law of pacification intoned within these walls, and as such you are ordered from this chamber at once. Your misdeeds have brought shame upon His court and only when and if the Dark One forgives this offence, will you return to this council.'

Paeris's eyes went wide, disbelieving. 'High One, please, I beg of you.' He shook his head and looked at Orrin, desperately, willing him to intervene. The Isdar remained silent and unmoved. 'You cannot banish me from this court, I beseech you, Visier, please...'

At his plea she turned on him fully, her eyes turning as dark as the moonless sky. He felt the air cool as an ice wind blew across the court.

'I cannot?' she repeated. Her voice was low like an ancient curse. 'You would presume to tell me what I can and cannot do inside these walls, servant of Leoth?'

Paeris dropped immediately to his knees and bowed his head. 'No, Visier, I do not. I swear upon His glory that I do not, I only beg that you consider carefully and with mercy what you do by—.'

'You think I am without mercy?' she asked him, her voice dreadful and cold now. Theodan felt the chill from it sweep up his spine.

'I think you the most merciful, Visier' he replied. 'But you must understand that my offence was only that I was unaw-.'