Part XXII

'Mor will help you dress,' he told her once he was able to look away from her

He had said too much. Frightened her.  Averting his eyes, he moved off to wait by the chamber door. He had not taken a step before her hand shot out to grab a fistful of his tunic, panic bright in her golden eyes.

'What will they do to you?' she asked, breathless, almost as though she cared for his safety. Which of course she did not. Any concern now was for her own safety. He knew this.

'Disloyalty to Leoth is punishable by exile,' he advised. Exile, of course, would in time lead to death, but she did not require to know this information at present.

'Disloyalty to Leoth?' she frowned, puzzled.

'There is no greater crime in the eyes of the realm.'

'How could they accuse you of such a thing? What act have you committed that has been disloyal to your realm?'

He had to suppress the smile at her innocence.  'I suppose we shall find out soon enough.'

'Then they will see the truth of it. The High Visier will confirm the truth of it, surely.' The pitch of her voice was incredulous, something like righteous anger shaking her small frame.

'Perhaps. But to see one truth, she must see all truths.'

She opened her mouth to rage at him, before the meaning met her thought. She closed her mouth again.

'Leothine are not known for their patience, princess. We would do well not to anger our guard.' He moved to leave her.

She blinked. 'Then... you believe me?' She whispered. Should he tell her that he had known the truth from the moment the King uttered the accusation, perhaps even before. Perhaps he had known the truth the moment she swallowed her scream in the palace throne room, the moment her beloved had fallen to the floor to drown in his own blood. 

'Dress, quickly,' he told her, deciding to ignore the question. 'And I suggest you do not reveal your identity until I tell you it is safe to do so, do you understand?'

She nodded. 'I understand.'

Downstairs, Vala stood beneath the great moon window, studying her claws, her body decorated with the weapons of The Ebon Guard. She turned when she heard him descend, her eyes cloaked of all feeling, her stance impassive. Paeris stood beside her, marginally taller, more officious, the scroll held between his large hands. Behind him he scented Fara's fear, her sweet blood rushing wildly through her veins, her heart beating furiously in her chest.

'Theodan,' Paeris greeted him, informally as his decorated head refused to lower with the required show of respect. Theodan may have lost his right to bear sword and spoil, but until he was found guilty, he was still afforded the respect befitting the Commander of the Realm. He hardened.