Part XXV

So then he had forsaken her

So then he had forsaken her. So easily his promise to protect her had been forgotten.

It had been foolish of her to have believed it would be otherwise. He was a soldier of Leoth. His loyalty was to his realm, his people, and his Dark God. Would not she have done the same given the chance? Saved herself. Had not she done the same over and over again when given the chance? She hated him for a great many things, but not for this. For this she lay no blame at his feet.

On the contrary, she recognised, begrudgingly, the honour in it. In his abiding duty to his realm and his people.

Where is your honour? Have you any, Princess?

It took Theodan's female a moment to recover from the Visier's revelation, glancing with open-mouthed astonishment at Fara before moving to stand in front of her.

'I am to guard the... female... until the Commander's return, Visier,' She said respectfully, lowering her head.  Her men moved also, forming a circle around them both, their bodies alert and ready. The allegiance shining from their sharp Leoth features and poised Leoth sword sent a stab of envy through Fara. To command such power, to command any power at all - what must it feel like? Even as a princess she had been powerless. The third born, the only daughter, of a king afforded privilege, yes, but very little power.

The guards that surrounded the Visier stood as still and as immovable as the large statue that overlooked them. Their inky black helmets and armour gave them an almost otherworldly presence, and their dark obsidian eyes focussed straight ahead without feeling or expression. Both sets of warriors looked formidable. But only for the fact that she could see agitation and uncertainty in some of the eyes of Vala's men, she decided that the Visier's men would triumph here were it to come to any kind of combat.

'Lady Vala, your duty to the Commander is of no importance to us,' The Leoth female advised, the merest suggestion of a smile lifting the side of her delicate rose-pink lips. Almost invisible as it was, Fara found it laden with meaning and intent. 'As you well know the princess is under the protection of the realm, and thus a subject of it. The High One requests her presence in the Garden of the Moon forthwith so I must advise you step aside,' The warning in the woman called Ismene's tone was clear.

Vala shifted on her feet, her allegiance torn. Fara knew from Theodan that the High Visier was superior to all who dwelled in Leoth, and yet, Vala had clearly made some promise to Theodan that she did not want to break.

Fara felt empathy swell within her. What use was more fighting, more bloodshed? Unnecessary and pointless deaths which solved no quarrel. Furthermore, she found within her a curious kind of freedom at the notion that she had, all things considered, nothing left to lose. She would meet with this Visier of Theodan's. With this being who spoke with Gods, and who could see through time and truth.

'I accept the High Visier's request,' Fara said, stepping around Theodan's female. 'I will go with you, Visier Ismene.'

Argent eyes closing, she bowed her head in exaggerated gratitude. 'But I would request that the lady Vala accompany me. If that would be permissible?' Fara asked with a forced meekness.