Part XVI

He told himself he felt nothing at the sight of her

He told himself he felt nothing at the sight of her. At the sight of the Imperial Queen of Azura beaten and collared by the Zybar. Used and humiliated. Lead in like an animal. After all, he had been the one to capture and bring her here. This was his doing. A swell of something like guilt rose in his chest.

No.

This was war.

War was a reckoner. It levelled many things. The weak fell and the strong rose. Kings. Queens. Gods. Was it not war that had brought the four realms of Ethis into being? War changed everything.

In a sudden move, Cassine shot towards the Queen of Azura, her small hands reaching out for her as a muffled cry of anguish escaped her throat. It took no effort for Theodan to restrain her and with a slight pull, he brought her back against his body. Be still. He commanded her wordlessly, a command that of course, she would not hear. The situation was precarious, and though he knew his men would not let him down, and though he could easily handle the Zybar in this room, he could not afford for battle to break out. Not when he had so much at stake now. Had the children been removed from camp yet? How could he get Cassine out of here unharmed if chaos ensued now? There were simply too many pieces in play now. Be Still, he urged her again.

Curiously, Cassine did seem to calm.

The Queen lifted her head high, looking past Cassine, to lock gazes with Theodan. There was fire there but he saw no hostility in her dark eyes. With dirt-caked fingers, the guard reached up and forced the stained gag from her mouth, pulling it roughly down about her neck.

'My son's victor, we meet once more,' she said after licking her dry lips. Her voice was like sand, powdered and grainy. He fought to hold his head high but felt suddenly much diminished in stature. 'I should like to ask - now that we have a moment to exchange - did you offer my son a noble death, one befitting a warrior such as yourself?'

Theodan swallowed, dipping his head slightly in deference. 'The Prince fought and died bravely your grace.'

The Queen nodded, a sad look flitting over her charming features. 'Then the Goddess did not favour our cause that day.'

'Or any day since it seems,' the king muttered, half-amused, half-bored. 'Now get on with it.' He waved a hand.

'You heard your King,' the Zybar guard spat. 'Speak what you know of the whore.'

Queen Arielle closed her eyes, a slow deliberate movement that reminded Theodan of an act of prayer then opened them again. The king shifted forward in his chair, his focus firmly on the back of the Queen's head, eyes wide and gluttonous. Beside him, Cassine ceased to breathe. Theodan himself, tensed.

'My son loved her,' The Queen said. As King Torrik lifted his head to smile wide in triumph, Cassine turned limp in his arms.

'And so it is!!' The King said, standing. 'Leoth, you will release your slave unto me and we shall be done with this. Release the Princess Fara!'