nine

"Justin, h-hey." I croaked nervously, "What're you doing here?"

"It's a grocery store," He laughed, "I thought everyone was allowed to come to them."

"No, right, yeah, that's not what I meant by it," I fake laughed, "I just figured you have people do your shopping for you or something."

He shrugged, "Sometimes, I just figured while I was out and about I would stop and get some snacks or something."

I nodded, "Nice,"

"Yeah." He gave me a confused look, "I didn't know you had a daughter."

My heart sank a little, not knowing what to say. All I wanted to do was turn around and run out of the aisle we were currently standing in.

"Yeah.. I do." I bit the inside of my cheek; please don't ask anymore questions please.

"She ran right into me while running," He reached out and poked Maddies side making her giggle, "Didn't you?"

"She shouldn't of been running in the first place, should you?" I looked at her sternly, making her frown and shake her head.

"I'm sorry mommy."

"It's fine baby girl, no need to fuss over it now."

"I'm just glad it was me and not some creep, you know?" He laughed softly.

"Yeah, well we should be going, we have dinner to make still and yeah," I quickly turned around walking back to the cart.

"Hey, wait up." I could hear him jogging after us.

"What?" I spoke without turning around, as I placed Maddie into the front of the cart.

"I was wondering if you wanted to maybe do something sometime?" I could see him smiling from the corner of my eye, "I mean we have not seen each other in a while and I figured maybe we could get re-acquainted or something."

"No thank you." I spoke with hesitation.

"Why not?" He looked a lot more shocked than I thought he would.

"I'll probably be busy," I began to push the cart, keeping my eyes straight ahead.

"But you don't know for sure, we could always do it on a day you're not busy and you could bring your daughter." He continued; walking beside me.

I sighed stopping the cart and turned towards him, "Why do you want to hangout with me? We met each other once Justin, we hardly even knew one another. We have no reason to suddenly get 're-acquainted'." I said, a lot more hostile then intended.

"Because," He paused his face turning serious, "I know she's my daughter."