The Keeper of the Keys

Over the next few days, bizarre things had happened at the Dursley household until Uncle Vernon just couldn't stand it anymore. One day he had sharply told the twins and Dudley to pack up and had said that they were going somewhere. Then he'd dragged them all the way to the middle of the sea, in an old shack that could only be reached by boat or by plane.

"There!" he'd said, satisfied. "No one can find us here now! No electricity, no fire, no one would suspect that anyone was living here!" Emma and Harry had clung to each other for warmth and comfort and later fell into an uneasy sleep.

At midnight, there was a sound at the door. A few moments later, it had collapsed right off its hinges and revealed a giant of a man who claimed himself to be a certain Rubeus Hagrid. He'd made himself right at home and had twisted Uncle Vernon's rifle, which had made the twins both scared and impressed. After that, he'd announced a very shocking fact.

"Yer a wizard, Harry. And yer a witch, Emma," Hagrid said.

"I'm a what?" Harry gasped, but Emma only seemed a tiny bit surprised. Harry turned to her.

"How are you taking this so calmly?" he asked in disbelief.

Emma shrugged. "Think about it, Harry. Haven't you made weird things happen whenever you were angry, or scared?" Hagrid nodded vigorously at her words. Now that Harry thought about it, he did make weird things happen. They both did. That time Harry found himself on the roof of a school building, Emma had set a bully's hair on fire. The boy's parents had confronted her, but she merely said that she had a lighter in a pocket, and that the boy was too dumb to notice that his hair was on fire. Harry had said that he was just athletic, which earned some weird looks as everyone knew he was the furthest thing from that. The headmaster had sent a warning letter to Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia. They had earned themselves each a month in their prison.

Hagrid proceeded to talk about Harry and Emma's parents, James and Lily. And then Voldemort. Hagrid told them about Voldemort and how Harry had defeated him that night at Godric's Hollow. Emma raised her eyebrows.

"We were both there?" she inquired.

"Yep," Hagrid replied. "I don't know a thing as to what happened that night, but rumour has it that Harry Potter got his scar while trying to protect his sister. Brave lad he is. Everyone's been talking 'bout it. How Harry Potter saved his sister from death so bravely!"

At this, Emma's eyes narrowed into thin slits. Her eyebrows made a sharp V.

"Harry saved me," she stated blandly.

Hagrid nodded vigorously. "Some folks said he crawled in front of yeh and took the blow. So young, and already know how to protect his sister." He wiped a tear from his cheek.

"Emma?" Harry asked, noticing her expression. "What's wrong?"

"You're what's wrong," she muttered.

"What?!" Harry exclaimed. "You think I want this? It can't be me, we were just babies then, I must've been infront of you or something, and -"

"Exactly. It's because you were a baby. You defeated the greatest dark wizard of all time. You saved your sister. O Great Harry Potter, so brave and wonderful! And you were just a baby. Frankly, I think I could've done that. I could've protected you. I could've defeated Voldemort." Hagrid inhaled sharply at the Dark Lord's name.

"Don't say that!" he said hurriedly. Emma ignored him.

"So you're jealous?" Harry said.

She whirled around to face him. "I am not JEALOUS," she hissed. Then she retreated into the shadows and glared at him. 

"Then what's wrong?" he pressed. "If you're not jealous, why are you so angry?"

She turned away from him and faced the fire.

Hagrid didn't know what to make of this. He continued to explain about Voldemort. Harry wasn't listening. He kept trying to make eye contact with Emma, but she stared stubbornly at the fire. Harry was reminded of a snake about to strike by the way she crouched in the shadows. The firelight made her emerald green eyes look strangely reptilian.

"Yer better get some sleep," Hagrid said. "We gotta go to London tomorrow ter buy yer school supplies." Emma nodded rigidly and immediately lay down on the floor, her back turned on him. Harry sighed and settled himself on the floor next to her. Both of them didn't fall sleep for a very long time. Harry was trying to make sense of his sister's actions while Emma was fuming quietly.

Harry Potter's sister, she thought furiously. That's all I'll ever be, is it? Great Harry Potter saved his worthless sister. I bet he's regretting it right now. His sister could've done it all on his own. I'm so much better and smarter than him. Why wasn't it me?

When Harry finally did sleep, his dreams were full of snakes. Emma transformed into one of them.

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in a while! This chapter was kinda short, sorry about that too. Emma wasn't in any of the books about Harry because she doesn't have Harry's lightning scar. It is speculated that Voldemort tried to kill both of them in one go, but Harry crawled in front of his sister and the spell hit him instead of her. Voldemort was finished by then. Emma escaped without a scratch.