The Sorting Ceremony

A/N: I'm not going to write the Diagon Alley scene with Malfoy. 

Fun fact number 1: Emma bought a snake. She doesn't care what the school letter says. And Ron brought a rat. She named the snake Osman. It's a boy.

Fun fact number 3: Emma accepted Draco's proposal of friendship.

"When I call your name, you will put the Sorting Hat on your head and be sorted into one of the four house: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin." Professor McGonagall said. The long line of first years shuffled nervously. She gave them all an encouraging smile and proceeded to read names from a long roll of parchment. After a while, the twins heard a name that they recognised.

"Malfoy, Draco!" 

Draco Malfoy stepped up to the three legged stool. The Sorting Hat had barely touched his unnaturally blonde hair when it shouted "Slytherin!" The bushy haired girl who was looking for a toad, Hermione Granger and Harry's friend, Ron Weasley were both sorted into Gryffindor. And then it was Emma's turn.

"Potter, Emma!" Professor McGonagall shouted. Everyone in the Great Hall started to whisper.

"Emma Potter? I've never heard of her."

"She's Harry Potter's sister."

"Why doesn't she have the scar?"

"Harry Potter protected her from You-Know-Who."

"Wow! Harry Potter is so brave!"

Emma heard all this. Her heart burned with jealousy. She angrily plonked the Sorting Hat on her head. It slid down and covered her eyes. She didn't know if it was magic, but all the voices in the hall seemed to fade away.

"Ah, Potter, is it?" the Sorting Hat asked. "Your parents were both in Gryffindor. But I see a thirst for power in you, a thirst to prove yourself. A very clever mind too, knife-sharp wits." The Sorting Hat chuckled. "You also have an incredibly loyal heart. Like it or not, you'll do anything for your brother. You'd do well in all four houses, that's very rare. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are not that suitable, don't you think? So that comes down to Gryffindor and Slytherin. I'll ask you a few questions."

"First, what are your opinions on bravery?"

Emma thought for a while before answering in her head. "I'm brave, but not stupid."

The Sorting Hat chuckled again. "Second, what would you do to achieve greatness, or whatever you want?"

This time Emma answered immediately, without a doubt on her mind. 

"Anything."

She heard the Sorting Hat shout to the whole Hall "Slytherin!" She took off the hat. There was no applause for her this time. After a second, the Slytherin table burst into cheers. She saw Draco beaming at her from his seat. Emma smiled slightly and walked to join her new family. Draco waved his arm and immediately cleared a space for her beside him. She sat down, held her head in the air and glared at anyone who looked at her. She had to establish a strong first impression.

Meanwhile, Harry was standing in line with his mouth open. Emma, Slytherin? Wasn't that the bad house? Wasn't that the house their parents' killer was in. His mind was a daze when he put on the Hat. Despite his sister being there, he did not want to get sorted into Slytherin at all. He was later sorted into Gryffindor. Harry tried to catch Emma's eye but she was staring at her golden plate and talking to Draco. Draco looked absolutely delighted. Harry wanted to wipe that look off his face.

Emma could feel Harry's stare from across the Hall. She stared at her plate and tried to make small talk with the boy beside her, Draco Malfoy. He seemed quite eager to talk to her.

"So...how do you feel about being sorted into Slytherin?" Emma asked, faking a light tone.

"My whole family've been in Slytherin. And it's okay, you don't have to make small talk if you don't feel like it. If there's one thing we Slytherins know how to do, it's looking past other's disguises and mastering a flawless mask for ourselves."

Emma looked up in surprise. Draco was grinning at her. She grinned back, genuinely. Maybe he'd be a good friend after all. After Dumbledore's odd speech and a delicious feast, the first years followed their house prefects up to their respective common rooms. Harry cut across the lines of first years to speak with Emma.

"Emma, wait. How are you in Slytherin? There must have been a mistake. It's the bad house, the house of the person who killed our parents! We'll go to Professor Dumbledore, sort this out - "

"How are you in Gryffindor then?" Emma interrupted. "As far as I know, you're not at all brave." 

Harry turned red. "But this - this is bad. You're bad. The Hat told me our parents were in Gryffindor. You're in the bad house. You're not supposed to be in Slytherin. If you'd just come with me, we'll put you back in the right house, in Gryffindor, with me."

Emma whirled around to face him. "I don't know what's supposed to be, okay?! I don't know what's good or bad, wrong or right. I'm in Slytherin because I have a goal in life. I don't want to be 'Harry Potter's sister' forever. I'm me, not you. I want to be someone. That's why I'm in Slytherin! And if you can't accept it, leave!"

Harry couldn't stand it. Why does she have to be so jealous all the time? She was being very unreasonable. The longer he thought about it, the angrier he got.

"Well then you're no longer my sister!" he shouted. As soon as these words left his mouth he regretted them. 

Emma slowly turned around, an eerily calm smile on her face.

"I never wanted to be."

Unknown to either Harry or Emma, Draco was hiding behind a pillar. He'd heard every word. Emma followed the dwindling trail of Slytherin students back to their common room, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. But she couldn't stop them. Grief overcame her and soon she was sitting on one of the chairs and crying.

A few of her fellow housemates ran to her, patted her on the back and tried to comfort her. 

"Hey, little first year, is everything okay?" a girl prefect asked her kindly. Emma sobbed harder and shook her head. She regretted every single word she'd said to Harry. He'd been so nice to her all their lives, and because of her selfishness and jealousy, she'd ruined it all. 

Soon, all of the students went to bed. Only three stayed with her quietly as she stared at the fire, lost in thought. She became best friends thereafter with those three people: Draco Malfoy, Daphne Greengrass and Blasie Zabini.

A/N: Sorry it's so short again! Thank you for reading my story! What do you think about Emma being in Slytherin? What do you think about her friendship with Draco, Daphne and Blaise? Feel free to comment!