The Potions Master

A/N: I'll make the Gryffindors take every class with Slytherins. Mwahahahaha.

Harry was famous. He really was. Whispers followed him around all day. Harry had tried to apologise to Emma after his outburst yesterday and was failing miserably. She was surrounded by her new friends Malfoy, Greengrass and Zabini every single minute. On top of that, all the Slytherins collectively glared at Harry whenever he came close to Emma. 

Lessons were quite interesting. Hermione Granger was a very active student, but even she was still second. Emma seemed to master all her lessons very quickly and could Transfigure mice, Charm keys and pot a plant as well as her professors. Slytherin had never seen such a brilliant student. Professor McGonagall was incredibly surprised that Emma managed to turn her match into a needle on the first try. Hermione tried just as hard to keep up with her, and by the end of the day, Emma and Hermione were tied in their challenges set by the professors.

But behind every mask of good is the true evil. Emma was distant and cold to Gryffindors, and only Gryffindors. She got along well with the Ravenclaws who appreciated her intelligence and wit. The Hufflepuffs insisted that Emma wasn't as bad as she looks. All the Gryffindors sniffed at that. They hated Slytherins because of Emma. All the Slytherins hated Gryffindor because of Harry. All this house rivalry caused by two Potters.

Then it was time for Double Potions with Professor Severus Snape.

"Mr Potter!" Snape said suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Hermione's hand shot up into the air. All of the Slytherins glared at her. Emma's hand raised into the air slowly. The Slytherins snickered when they saw that one of their own rivaled Hermione.

"I don't know, sir."

Snape's lips curled into a sneer. "Let's try Miss Potter shall we?"

"A powdered root of asphodel and an infusion of wormwood results in the Draught of Livong Death, sir."

Snape looked surprised. He quickly covered it with a sneer. "At least your sister had the right mind to open a potions book before class. Ten points to Slytherin." Emma beamed and her classmates patted her on the back. Draco looked very proud. Harry glared at him.

"Let's try again, Potter. Where would you look to if I told you to find me a bezoar?

Hermione stretched her hand as high as it could go without leaving her chair. Harry tried not to pay attention to the Slytherins were scowling at her and laughing at Harry.

"I don't know, sir."

"Perhaps we should try Miss Greengrass."

Daphne Greengrass from Slytherin stood up.  "A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat, sir. It will save you from most poisons."

"Correct. Another ten points to Slytherin." The Slytherins cheered and whooped.

"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"I don't know, sir. But I think Hermione does, why don't you try her?" Several people laughed. Snape, however, was not pleased.

"Sit down," he snapped at Hermione. "Miss Potter and Miss Greengrass's answers to my questions were correct. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name aconite. Well? Why aren't you copying that down?"

There was a sudden rummaging for quills and parchment. Over the noise, Snape said "And a point will be taken from Gryffindor house for your cheek, Potter."

Snape then divided them into pairs and set them to mixing a simple potion to cure boils. He swept around, criticising almost everyone except Malfoy and Emma, who he seemed to like. Suddenly, a loud hissing sound filled the room. Neville had somehow managed to melt Seamus's cauldron into a twisted blob and the potion was seeping acros the stone floor. Within seconds, everyone was on their stools while Neville, who had been drenched in the potion, moaned as angry boils sprang up all over his arms and legs. 

"Idiot boy!" snarled Snape. He cleared the spilled potion with a wave of his wand. " I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?"

"Take him to the hospital wing," Snape spat at Seamus. Then he turned to Harry and Ron, who had been working next to Neville and Seamus.

"You - Potter - why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? Thought he'd make you look good if he got it wrong, did you? That's another point you've lost for Gryffindor."

This was so unfair that Harry opened his mouth to argue, but Ron kicked him behind their cauldron.

"Don't push it," he muttered. "I've heard Snape can turn very nasty."

"Cheer up," said Ron. "Snape's always taking points off Fred and George. Can I come and meet Hagrid with you?"

When Harry knocked at Hagrid's front door, he heard a frantic barking inside. Then Hagrid's voice rang out "Back, Fang, BACK"

Hagrid's big hairy face appeared in the crack as he pulled the door open. 

"Hang on," he said. "BACK, Fang."

He let them in, struggling to keep hold on the collar of an enormous black boarhound. 

"Make yerselves at home," Hagrid said. Hagrid gave them rock cakes which almost broke their teeth. However, they pretented to enjoy them. They talked to Hagrid about their lessons. Harry wasn't convinced when Hagrid assured him that Snape didn't hate him. 

"How's yer brother Charlie?" Hagrid asked Ron. Harry wondered if Hagrid had changed the subject on purpose. While Ron told Hagrid all about Charlie's work with dragons, Harry picked up a piece of paper that was lying on the table. It was a cutting from the Daily Prophet.

Harry remembered Ron telling him on the train that someone had tried to rob Gringotts, but Ron hadn't mentioned the date. "Hagrid!" said Harry. "That Gringotts break in happened on my birthday! It might've been happening while we were there!"

Hagrid definitely didn't meet Harry's eyes this time. He grunted and offered him another rock cake. Harry read the story again. The vault had been emptied earlier that same day. Hagrid had emptied vault 713, if you could call it emptying, taking out that grubby little package. Had that been what the thieves were looking for? 

As Harry and Ron walked back to the castle, Harry thought of none of his lessons. Had Hagrid collected the package just in time? Where was it now? And did Hagrid know something about Snape that he didn't want to tell Harry? Harry was itching to share his questions with Emma, but then he remembered that she wasn't talking to him anymore. He also remembered that Snape was her house teacher. Harry missed the times when he could share everything with Emma.

When they were back in the Great Hall, eating dinner, Harry glanced at Emma. Malfoy was showing her something from the Daily Prophet, with Zabini and Greengrass on either side of her. Harry saw her frowning, and she looked up at him. Harry knew that she had just read the article he did. She had been in Gringotts that day too. But then she looked away, and Harry felt his heart sink to the bottom of his stomach.

When Ron asked why he looked so down, Harry told him about his situation with Emma. 

"Oh. Well, you just need to apologise to her. She's your sister, she'll forgive you."

"It's not that easy, Ron." And Harry knew that it wasn't. Harry was Emma's only family. (Besides the Dursleys, who she'd rather die than admit as family.) When Harry said that he wished Emma wasn't his sister, he had practically disowned her. And she took it hard. Really hard.

She still wasn't talking to him, and it was all his fault.

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in a while, guys! I'll try to update every few days, or every day if I can. Please vote and comment! Thanks!