George Harrison

Paul and John were sitting side by side on what had rather become "their" park bench, both of them bundled up in coats and and hats and gloves and scarves. The ground was covered in sixteen inches of snow and children were running around building snowmen and making snow angels.

"I think I know someone who would be great for the band," Paul looked over at John. "And you've already met him."

"Who?" John furrowed his brows.

"George Harrison," Paul said.

"He's too young, don't you think?" John raised one eyebrow.

"I'm the youngest member of the band," Paul pointed out.

"You're only a year younger than the rest of us," John retorted.

"And George is only a year younger than me," said Paul. "Come on, Johnny. Just give him a chance."

John sighed. "He's got one shot,"

Paul grinned.

"You're unbelievable sometimes, you know that?"

"I learned from the best," Paul laughed.

John rolled his eyes.

The following day was New Year's Eve. Mimi was going out of town for two nights to spend New Year's with one of her friends who lives in London.

"Now, John." She said before she left. "No parties. I swear to God of I come home and this place is in ruins I'll make you wish you'd never been born! Now, you can have a friend or two over. But that is it! Do you understand?"

"Yes, Aunt Mimi." John grinned cheekily.

Mimi sighed. "Alright, alright! I have to go!" She hugged him and he tentatively returned the hug. "Okay, I'm going! NO. PARTIES." And without another word, she left.

John hurried into the kitchen and phoned Paul. "Hey, Paulie. Mimi's out of town until January second. Do you think George could come over and try out for the band tonight?"

George strummed on his guitar and sang while Paul stood in the corner grinning and John studied him carefully.

"The warden threw a party in the county jail.

The prison band was there and they began to wail.

The band was jumpin' and the joint began to swing.

You should've heard those knocked out jailbirds sing.

Let's rock, everybody, let's rock.

Everybody in the whole cell block

was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock.

Spider Murphy played the tenor saxophone,

Little Joe was blowin' on the slide trombone.

The drummer boy from Illinois went crash, boom, bang,

the whole rhythm section was the Purple Gang.

Let's rock, everybody, let's rock.

Everybody in the whole cell block

was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock.

Number forty-seven said to number three:

"You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see.

I sure would be delighted with your company,

come on and do the Jailhouse Rock with me."

Let's rock, everybody, let's rock.

Everybody in the whole cell block

was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock.

The sad sack was a sittin' on a block of stone

way over in the corner weepin' all alone.

The warden said, "Hey, buddy, don't you be no square.

If you can't find a partner use a wooden chair."

Let's rock, everybody, let's rock.

Everybody in the whole cell block

was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock.

Shifty Henry said to Bugs, "For Heaven's sake,

no one's lookin', now's our chance to make a break."

Bugsy turned to Shifty and he said, "Nix nix,

I wanna stick around a while and get my kicks."

Let's rock, everybody, let's rock.

Everybody in the whole cell block

was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock."

He strummed the last chord then set the guitar down and looked to John. "So, am I in?"

John furrowed his brows. There was no doubt in his mind that this kid was good, but he was also fourteen. Paul was fifteen, but something just felt off. He wasn't sure what to do. "Give me a few minutes to speak with Paul on the matter. Go wait in the kitchen."

George nodded. "Okay," and he stood with his guitar and went into the kitchen where he propped himself on the edge of the wooden kitchen table and began strumming lightly.

"I don't know about him," John sighed and shook his head. "We've hung around him a lot and he's nice kid but he's two years younger than me and a year younger than you and I'm just not so sure that - "

"But his guitar skills are superb," Paul pointed out. "You can't deny that."

"But we don't have time to be babysitting anyone during band practice," John said sharply.

"We won't have to babysit him," Paul said. "If he needs any looking after - which he won't because he's fourteen, not three - I will keep an eye out for him. You won't have to."

John sighed. "He's got one shot. If he screws up, he's out."

"That's all he needs," Paul grinned.

"Alright, kid," John called to George who hurried back into the room. "You're in. One chance. That's all you get."

George nodded. "Perfect,"

Once George had left, and Paul had called his dad and said he was sleeping at a friend's house, John and Paul curled up together on the couch and just sat there through the night.

In silence.