Chapter 6

I awoke to sunlight streaming onto my face. I was so warm and cosy that I never wanted to move again. I felt something unusually heavy across my waist and legs. I slowly moved my limbs only to hear a deep groan emanate from next to me. I instantly quit moving, opening my eyes I surveyed my situation.

Caden with his arm flung around my waist holding me tight was still sound asleep. He looked so peaceful, so gorgeous that I just stared at him. Until Mesa opened the door and entered. I tried to scramble out of the bed however I failed miserably; all I got was a bright red face and a guilty expression. I have no idea how she kept a straight face.

“Do not worry Miss. You are life bond partners; there is no shame in this. I was only coming to mention that breakfast will be served in an hour. Please be sure Mister is up as he likes sleeping a little too much.” She left as quietly as she arrived, smiling softly at me.

I turned back to Caden to find he had hardly moved at all. Instead I mulled over the term life bond partners that I had heard at least twice now, both times in connection with me. I was pondering what this could mean when Caden yelled my name in anguish. I turned back to find him thrashing around on the bed frantically calling my name over and over.

“Caden.” I called out hesitantly, he stopped thrashing but kept muttering. I tried again which finally elicited a response but perhaps not the one I wanted. He growled low in his throat as his arms snatched me closer to him.

“Do not ever leave me again.” He muttered in despair “Why did you have to leave me?” I stroked his cheek, upset at his evident distress, making soothing noises as I tried to wake him up.

“C’mon Caden you need to get up now.” I planted a tiny kiss at the corner of his lips

“Noooooo.” He slurred

“You get up now and I might just give you that kiss I owe you.” I entreated. His eyes popped open and we stared at each other for a minute.

He looked so beautiful with his hair messily tousled, his green eyes sleepy yet vibrant and his lips curving into such a sweet smile. I blushed abruptly, realising the position we were in. I was pressed firmly against every part of his body. I could feel he wanted me and his eyes glowed with that need.

“Again with the blushing.” He finally said huskily, drawing his finger along my scalding cheek, which only made me blush deeper.

“I need to know something.” I tried to make some distance between us but he wouldn’t let me.

“Yes?”

“What are life bond partners? I’ve heard the term twice now in relation to me and I want to understand why.” He sighed and ran his fingers through his already tumbled hair.

“I was hoping to explain this another time.” I glared at him and he heaved another sigh “It is really complicated and yet incredibly simple at the same time." He explained picking up my right hand to turn it over so the palm faced upwards.

“Did you never wonder what this mark meant? “

I looked down puzzled at what he was pointing at only to notice three intertwined discs in an intricate pattern on the inside of my wrist, almost like a tattoo but invisible at the same time. How I had never noticed it before was beyond me. He raised his left hand and showed me that his had a pattern as well, but different to mine.

“Mine may look completely different to yours. Every couple’s does but only the bonded pairs can work together as they are interlinked. Watch.”

He clasped my right hand in his left, and then I watched in fascination as both patterns started moving together as if they were one. Finally, they formed an invisible, unbreakable bond between us.