Chapter 10

We both stood in front of the mirror. Caden held my hand looking at me uncertainly. He could see the fear etched on my face. But I knew I had to go, my son and best friend needed me, there was no way that I would let them down.

“Are you sure about this? You have been away for a while.” Caden asked concerned

“I want to see my son and I have to get Izzie back to this world.” I insisted stubbornly “I need to figure out the prophecy and what older me was going on about.”

I yawned widely and felt my eyes sink. I was so tired but I needed to leave, I knew if I didn’t go soon then the prophecy would be doomed to Markus choosing. I couldn’t let that happen. Just the thought of Markus having anymore control terrified me.

“Our world is very different from this one.” Caden said in a worried tone. I turned to face him and glared at him, he didn’t understand

“Caden I have one week to sort this out then it will be decided for me. I need to be there, I am the one to make the decision not Markus. Would you really leave the fate of our son in his hands?” I demanded.

Caden rubbed his hands through his hair “I never thought of it that way.”

“Then let’s go before Ben or my Dad come back looking for us. I can’t spend all my time waiting for them to make a decision on what to do. Hayden and Izzie are depending on me.” I told him determinedly.

Caden still looked unsure, but I dragged him closer to the mirror. I could see its silvery surface shining so innocently, but it still scared me. I stopped hesitantly on the edge of crossing over, feeling my childhood panic wash through me.

“Come on then.” He whispered

He held my hand tighter and forced me to step forward. I felt the mirror flex and bend to accommodate us as we moved through. With my heart painfully throbbing I walked into a grey nothingness which darkened to a pitch black. I could still feel Caden’s hand in mine, as I tried to hold the panic at bay.

“So this is the between world?” I asked, already knowing the answer but I had to do something to prevent my panic from increasing.

“Yes.” Caden took hold of my other hand and brought both of mine to his chest

“But how did I even end up here before?” I prattled on

“I really have no clue. I think though that something drew you to me being here.” Caden mused

“So you were going home?” I felt him touch my face and my anxiety eased a little. He swept my hair back to tuck it behind my ears and I shivered at his touch.

“Yes I was so surprised when I first heard you.”

“But I didn’t pass through the Gate so how on earth did I end up here?” I asked curiously

“I have no idea. I never thought about it before.” He sounded genuinely surprised “But if I had to guess at why I would say your powers. You really are the most powerful being in our world, but your powers are so untouched and untapped that you may be able to move between the worlds without a Gate.”

I scoffed at his crazy comment, unlimited powers pfffft! Ridiculous!

“How long do we have to stay here?” I mustered up the courage to find out finally.

“It takes about ten minutes so we still have a while left. Come here.” He murmured as he enfolded me in his arms

“I’m still mad at you for not telling me about Hayden.” I mumbled into his shirt as I put my arms around his waist. He felt so unbelievably warm and muscular as he drew me in even tighter.