Chapter 7

I awoke abruptly to find my Dad sitting on the edge of my bed watching me. I sat up and stretched, feeling an angry headache still throbbing around my skull. Dad handed me some tablets and water wordlessly.

“Are you feeling a bit better?” He asked as he fluffed my pillows.

“Why are you here? What is truly going on? And where are Mum and Jim?” The questions burst out of me but were muffled by my pillow as I lay back down. He stroked my hair and smiled at me.

“There is a lot to tell you. Where would you like me to begin?

“Why did Caden call you an Ambassador?”

“Simply because I am one. It will make no sense so just let me explain a few things.”

“Okay but why? Why couldn’t you be you?” I was thoroughly confused

“Let me start at the beginning and things might become clear in time.”

“Sure.” I sat up against the headboard and waited

“I was an Ambassador, just like Ben, he was in fact my successor.”

“Which world are you from then? Seeing as how there seems to be two?” I asked curiously.

“Just like you and Ben I am from both worlds.”

“Huh?” I felt so muddled, how could I be from both worlds?

“Stop interrupting me and you just might get an answer.” He said in exasperation.

“Continue on then.” I said grudgingly, waving my hands at him

“When I was first conceived my Mother went to the Ambassador, which is what is done in our world. You see the Ambassador is always searching for his successor and he must find them before they are born for them to be able to cope with both worlds.” I went to say something but Dad shushed me

“For us to live in both worlds, we must be conceived in our world but be born into this one. So I became the next Ambassador. Then I met your mother when I was on a trip back home. She was the most striking woman I had ever met. Her name was Magdalene.”

Wait a minute that wasn’t my mother’s name! I started making protesting motions but Dad interrupted.

“I know okay but that is another long story that we will get to later, just let me finish this one.” He sighed and rubbed his hands together “We became life bond partners.” I wanted to look at his wrist but didn’t want to interrupt again

“When you were conceived we were overjoyed. I performed the ceremony to see your potential as next Ambassador and was blown away. You were more powerful than anything I had ever seen. I already had Ben by that time, so I handed the job over to him as soon as I had proved positive that you were the next Ambassador.”

“Just stop for a minute. What exactly is an Ambassador? Now that I apparently am one.” I asked finally. I mean I was stunned, I had no idea what he meant, but it seemed I was way out of my depth.

“The Ambassador is a person who is born of the purest good.” I snorted at that and Dad smiled “That isn’t their only aspects. They can also live in both worlds without damage as you saw with Caden. They also have almost unlimited powers but their moral compass always points to good.

"They are the representative of our world to keep the ones visiting under control. Everyone that enters this world must go through them. Does that make sense?” He explained thoroughly.

“Sort of.” I said with a shrug.

“Okay then I will continue. You were then born of this world. Your mother came to love it here even though she couldn’t stay for very long. But for some reason she never seemed to take a shine to you, yet you were her daughter. Believe me I tried everything. In the end she came to truly despise you for the time you took up when she was here.