Chapter 8

We had all gathered back in the kitchen and Mary had dished out a delicious roast dinner. She refused to let us leave without a full stomach. I liked her so much; she treated everyone so warmly that you instantly felt like part of her family.

It was while mulling over a scrumptious dessert of apple pie and cream that I once again thought about the prophecy. I was kind of tired of the fact that no one would tell me about it. I was also tired of the fact that it seemed to involve me but everyone was afraid to tell me.

“So when are we going to discuss this prophecy?” I asked and everyone went still. Caden looked heart wrenchingly sad and I saw Ben pat his shoulder soothingly.

“What is it?” I questioned.

“We will discuss this tomorrow. This has been a very long day already and another day will not change things any.” Ben said with determination.

“Why?” I tried probing further, all this secretive stuff was starting to bug me.

“Her heart will still be broken no matter what day it is Ben.” Caden said to Ben quietly.

“ENOUGH!” Ben shouted with immense power “We are going home now and this matter will be discussed in the morning.” Everyone cowed in their seats and nodded their heads.

Everyone was quiet until we were leaving. I had so many thoughts in my head that I had no idea which one to think through first. For some reason though I kept coming back to this annoying prophecy that no one seemed to want me to know about, let alone talk about. It involved me somehow, I just knew it instinctively.

Goodbyes and hugs were exchanged as we left the Guardians of the Gate. Back at the Ambassadors, was when the full weight of what happened in my day began to drag me down. Exhaustion crept in and Caden had to support me back to my room.

He eventually lifted me into his arms, tired of me dragging my feet. I draped my arms around his neck and tucked my head under his chin as I breathed deeply of his scent. He easily carried me the rest of the way as if I weighed nothing. Finally, he laid me down on my cosy bed and went to move away. I grabbed hold of his sleeve.

“Don’t go.”

“I have to. I need to discuss some things with Ben and then I have to go home until morning.” Dang I had forgotten about that.

“Please.” I begged giving him my full puppy dog eyes.

“You always use those eyes on me.” He muttered as he let me pull him down to lie next to me.

“Something is really wrong, isn’t it?” His eyes looked so unhappy but he nodded “You don’t want to tell me do you?” He shook his head at me “Why?”

“Because you will hate me when you find out what it is.” He whispered miserably, I took his face in my hands and forced him to look at me

“I could never hate you, ever.” I stated

“How about we see how you feel tomorrow then.” He murmured as he looked away from me “Maybe you will not hate me but I am unsure if you will be able to forgive me. You need to sleep.” He changed the subject and I let him.

“I know. Will you just lie here until I fall asleep?” He smoothed my hair back from my face and smiled sadly at me.

“Of course I will.”

I was drifting on the edge of sleep when I felt the bed move and his warmth at my side leaving. I desperately wanted to call him back but I knew I couldn’t. He had to go home whether I liked it or not.

“I am so sorry to do this to you again.” I heard him murmur as I felt his lips touch my cheek.

I woke in the darkness startled as a light glared down upon me. I felt so disoriented and confused that I didn’t know what was happening or even where I was. I twitched as I tried to make out anything through my bleary eyes.