Chapter One - The Calm Before The Storm

All Rights Reserved

"I hate those little brats, they're going to end up destroying the world before I even turn fifty," David complained, walking into the teacher's lounge. His supposed white shirt was filled with yellow and blue small handprints. "Who thought it was a damn good idea to let those little assholes finger paint, huh? I did! Who's idea was it to make me a freaking canvas? Certainly, not me!"

I snorted as I watched him throw himself on the couch and pull at his tie.

"I wonder all the time how you, a hating child menace, ended up becoming a teacher," I told him, turning back to grade the rest of the papers.

"It's because I worry about the future. I lay awake at night, wondering how this country will succeed with these bratty children as our futures," David answered, sitting upright and ruffling his hand through his brown hair.

David was the homeroom teacher for first grade.

"Calm your tits. You're teaching six-year-olds how to read and one plus one math. By the time they graduate college, they'll have forgotten all about that old man in first grade who used to yell at them about being patriotic Americans," I said, marking an x on the paper.

"Harsh. My tits are just fine. Who pissed in your coffee?"

"I didn't get to have any coffee today."

There was a moment of silence before David spoke again.

"My condolences," David replied, getting up from his spot on the couch and walking over to the fridge. "You poor soul."

"At recess, a third grader told me that he was very mature for his age. He stood beside me and looked out over the playground," I spoke out loud. " 'Just look at these animals' He said while shaking his head. Twenty seconds later, he joined them."

David laughed while taking out a bottled water.

"I will never understand the dynamics of a child's mind," David said, shaking his head.

"Same," I replied, examining my sticker book, choosing a pink donut sticker with the words 'Great Job' and placing it on the graded paper. "But you still have to love them."

"Yeah, I guess you do."

I skipped all the way home in a spirited mood because today was Friday. Bless Friday will all my heart and curse Monday's with all my soul. I lived close to Claire's Elementary School, so I was able to walk home.

Today was uneventful as usual. I just couldn't wait to get home to see Axel, who comes home sometime after me. That gives me enough time to prepare.