Chapter Three - The Unanswered Questions

All Rights Reserved

The sound of gunshots soon ceased and I removed my tremblings hands from my ears. I wrapped them around my knees and jumped in fright when the phone fell from its spot between my stomach and thighs and hit the bottom of the cabinet. Dammit! I almost gave myself a heart attack.

Instead of getting shot and dying, the cause of my death would have been fear from the sound of dropping my phone. Such a wonderful way to go. I listened closely to any sounds and frowned when I couldn't hear anything. Is it possible they all shot at each other and now they're all dead?

My heart squeezed painfully at the idea of losing Axel. Not only would I have become a widow, but I'd probably be stuck in this cabinet for days because I'd still wait for Axel's voice, telling me it's alright to come out.

I couldn't blink back the tears. I didn't stop them from trailing down my cheeks. I sniffled at the idea of not having Axel in my life and having to live such a lonely widowed life. Or maybe I'll just die in this small cabinet from hunger or dehydration...whichever kills me first.

At least the last thing I ate was skittles.

I buried my face in my knees and began to cry silently at the idea of such a lonely life and a dreadful death. I was only twenty-five!

Then I heard footsteps of someone coming inside of the bedroom.

I froze when the footsteps stopped in front of the closet, and it slowly creaked open. I could hear the clothes being rustled to the side and almost sighed in relief before I was plagued with a thought.

What if they forced Axel to tell them where I was before they killed him?

I hiccupped a sob, not caring if whoever was out there heard me. If it was them, then they could just shoot from there and maybe they'll be lucky enough to hit my pained heart. Or my kneecap...damn that would probably hurt.

"Blaire, honey? It's me, Axel," I heard Axel's baritone voice. He knocked on the cabinet door once. "It's safe, you can come out."

I stared at the handle of the door, my brain not able function properly. I wasn't expecting to hear Axel's voice ever again. Slowly, my hand reached out to the handle and I gripped it with my fingers. I moved it down and the door slowly creaked open.

I let go of the handle and pushed the small door open before it was fully opened by a pale toned large hand. Axel had to bend down in order to make eye contact. His eyes widened at the tear tracks and my probably raccoon eyes.

His facial expression turned into a look of regret. For what reason? I haven't a clue.

"Let's get you out of there, baby," he whispered, reaching into the cabinet and grasping my warm hand into his large rough ones. I let him help me out and soon I stood up straight in the closet, no longer in the stuffy cabinet. From where I stood, I was taller than Axel by just a head.

I examined him and sighed in relief when I saw no blood and he didn't look to be injured. His hair looked more ruffled, and he wasn't wearing his jumper anymore. He wasn't shirtless, he was wearing a white t-shirt from underneath.

He looked up at me as he pressed my soft body against his hard one. My blurry vision didn't clear and I almost cursed when another tear escaped my eye. I reached up to wipe it with the back of my hand, but Axel beat me to it and his thumb brushed against my cheek.

He cupped my face with both hands, the rough pad of his thumb wiping the tear tracks from under my eyes.

"I thought you only cried in sad movies," he whispered, smiling a bit. I scoffed, rolling my eyes before sniffling again.