Chapter Six - The Slow Acceptance

All Rights Reserved

I blinked, wondering if I heard him correctly. Leaving? He was leaving? He was leaving me here? To what? Just die on my own?

"No, you're not," I told him, shaking my head.

"I'm not?" he asked, he raised an eyebrow in confusion. His body was turned toward me and I made no movements toward him.

"Of course not! You landed us in this mess and now you just want to leave?" I all but yelled. I stood on my knees, my height still not coming close to his even with him sitting down.

"Baby-"

"Don't baby me! Is this some sacrificial thing? Where you ditch me here in the middle of nowhere for my own protection? I can't fucking believe you!" This time my eyes watered, and they burned with anger.

"No-"

"You can't leave me here! I won't let you! Do you hear me? I won't let you leave me here!" I shouted, shaking my head, my curls bouncing behind me. I crawled over to him and wrapped my arms around his waist, and held onto him like a koala bear to a tree.

My head pressed against his warm muscled chest and I could feel his heart beating loudly.

"Are you done?" Axel asked, resting his chin on my head.

I slowly nodded my head.

"I'm not ditching you here for your own protection. I believe the safest place for you is with me," he told me, patting my back slowly, which was undeniably comforting. "When I said I was leaving, I meant that I was leaving to get rid of the car or else they'll track it here."

I stilled at his words, my brain processing them over and over again. I then looked up at him with narrowed eyes.

"Why can't I come with you?" I asked, his face a few inches away from my own. He stared at my lips for a second before looking back into my eyes.

"It'll be dangerous. Right now, they're looking for both of us and they won't think we'll separate."

I nodded my head at his words before my system was infused with a drop of doubt. What if he doesn't come back for me?

"How do I know you'll come back?" I asked him, with mild suspicion.

"You don't trust me?" he asked, his eyes flashing with hurt, and I bit my lip to stop, feeling guilty for hurting him.

"I-I do, Axel, but it's kinda hard not to be doubtful after everything that you told me."

"Okay, I get that," Axel said, slowly nodding his head, almost looking like a hurt puppy. My heart squeezed painfully at hurting him, but I wouldn't lie to him about my feelings. I never said I'd leave though.

"Dinner's ready, let's go," he told me, getting up from the bed with me in his arms. He put me down, and I wobbled when my feet prickled. They had stupidly gone to sleep. Damn, I hate this feeling more than anything.

"You okay?" he asked, holding on to my waist, letting my feet adjust.

I nodded my head, grumbling about my useless feet and how it feels like tiny nails are pricking me all at the same time. He let out a small chuckle. Soon, the feeling disappeared and I gestured to Axel to lead the way.

Axel opened the door and waited until I passed before walking behind me. What a gentleman. We walked down the stairs and I sighed in delight when the smell of beans and tuna wafted my nose. I bit my lip when I saw the plates laid out on the table and took a seat on the wooden chair.