Chapter Five - The Explanation

All Rights Reserved

I jumped in fright when Axel threw his head back and let out a bark of laughter. I watched him as he laughed, his eyes crinkling with amusement. I couldn't help the small smile on my face at his expression. Lord knows the tension in this room was too great.

"You're too cute for words," Axel said, as he caressed my cheek, the pad of his rough thumb brushing my cheekbone. He let go of me before turning away to stare in front of him, his face serious once more.

"I was an assassin," he whispered in the softest of voices that I struggled to hear what he had said. When the words finally registered, I could only sit there and try to make sense of what he said.

This time I couldn't help but let out my own laughter. I tried to hide it, but it erupted from my lips and it filled the air. I don't even know why I was laughing but I couldn't stop, and then I started to tear up.

My eyes began to fill with tears and my crazed laughter turned into hiccups. From my blurred vision, I could see Axel giving me a strange look.

The first tear slid down my cheek and I bit my lip to stop myself from making any noise.

"Axel, you promised me you'd never do drugs," I told him, wiping away the tears from my eyes. My lip trembled and my thought process was moving as slow as a sloth.

"Baby, I'd have to be insane before I ever do drugs. Plus that wouldn't really explain what happened back in the house," Axel replied, smiling sadly.

"Okay, Axel. You win, okay? Whatever you're trying to pull, just stop it now," I told him, a feeling of irritation rising within me. "You've had your laugh, or do you want me to cry even more?"

"I don't know what to say to make you believe me, but I promise you that this isn't a joke or a prank," he told me, taking my hands in his. This time I jerked them away and refused to look him in the eye.

"At least let me finish my explanation, then you can be mad at me."

I slowly nodded my head before getting up from my place in the bed. I stood in front of the window, looking at the many trees that surrounded the house. I rubbed my arms, trying to get rid of the goosebumps that had erupted from Axel's words. I didn't want to accept the truth, I didn't want to accept that Axel could kill someone. I'd rather him be a garbage man than listen to the cold hard truth.

Axel wasn't perfect.

I heard him sigh again before he continued on.

"So I went to Germany, and there I was forced to sit in white-walled classrooms and be force-fed information about the world and their cause. Later on, I realized that that was the brainwashing phase. Once you pass that, your training begins. The first two years were the worst, and I was told if I didn't shape up then I'd be forced to stay longer."