42. Silence

We decided on The Lego Movie. As much as I hated to admit it, that movie was pretty entertaining. I was sure I was going to fall asleep thirty minutes in, but that movie kept my eyes glued to the screen the entire time.

Titus came back at the last twenty minutes of the movie. He placed the food on the table then joined me on the couch. He wrapped his arm over my shoulders then stared down at Kohl. Kohl sat on the black and white rug with his eyes glued to the screen.

When the movie ended,  I was way too excited to eat. "Can we watch Big Hero 6 next?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Absolutely not."

Titus eyed me suspiciously, while Kohl stared up at me in confusion. "That big white thing is creepy! I'll have nightmares." Titus burst into laughter while Kohl followed behind him. I rolled my eyes and stood.

"Wait, you're scared of an animated character?" He asked as he held my hand.

"He's creepy Titus." I removed his hand then walked into the kitchen. "We'll eat then Kohl can watch the movie in his room." Kohl nodded in agreement. "After you take a bath." I added. His smile dropped as he crossed his arms over his chest and began pouting.

I ignored his pouting and began piling our plates with spaghetti and vegetables. Titus and I sat across from each other while Kohl sat in between the both of us. I stared at Kohl in shock as he ate his vegetables with no issue.

"You're like the only kid I know that willingly eats vegetables." He looked up at me and smiled with spaghetti sauce stained around his mouth. Titus ran his hand through Kohl's hair and smiled.

After dinner Titus went off to shower while I helped Kohl with his bath. I ran the bath water then went into into Kohl's bedroom. He was on his bed playing with his transformers when I entered the room. "Kohl, you were supposed to be picking out your Pjs."

"Sorry." He said, then continued to play with his toys. I ran my hand through my hair then sighed.

This kid...

"Well I'm not doing it for you mister, so you better start moving." I said sternly.

He stopped what he was doing then hopped of the bed. He opened his dresser then pulled out a navy blue pajama set. "Okay good. Grab your underwear then meet me in the bathroom." He nodded before I left the room.

I turned off the water when I entered the bathroom then waited for Kohl. When he finally entered the bathroom he kept his gaze towards the ground. He began to shake as a sob escaped his mouth.

"Kohl what's wrong?" I tried to place a hand on his shoulder but he instantly pulled away. "I can stand outside if you want?" He nodded.

"Okay, just make sure you get behind your ears." I said before I left the bathroom. I cracked the door, just too make sure he was okay. I heard way too many cases of children drowning in bathtubs.

Titus entered the hallway a few minutes later wearing black pajama pants. Before he could say anything I asked him the a question that half of me didn't want the answer to. "D-did someone hurt him?" He held my gaze for what felt like hours, then finally sighed. "Yeah..."

I shook my head as tears ran down my face. "That's horrible."

"I took care of her." He said as he stepped closer to me. I ran my hand over my face. "You promise?" He nodded as he grabbed my right hand.

"Can you help him with washing his face and brushing his teeth? I'm going to go take a shower."

"Of course."