10

[Chapter ten]

"RISE AND SHINE, MOTHERFU--what the fuck?"

Noah and I shoot awake and he pushes me off the bed, making me land on the floor with a thump as the unmistakable voice of Max echoes around the room.

"Nevaeh?" Dylan questions as he and Max stand at the foot of the bed.

"No, it's Santa Claus." I grumble sarcastically, pushing myself up off the floor.

"Noah, why where you and Nevaeh cuddling?" Max questions before his eyes widen. "YOUNG MAN, I HOPE YOU COVERED YOUR STUMP BEFORE YOU HUMPED!"

"Max, shut up." Noah say simply, making him snap his mouth shut. "We didn't do anything."

Max being Max, doesn't listen and instead starts yelling at Noah about the importance of condoms and safe sex, giving him the Birds and Bees talk at the same time.

I make sure my hood is on properly before making my way over to Dylan and standing beside him.

"So I'm guessing Max is the mum of the group?" I muse.

"In most cases, yeah." Dylan hums, watching as Max grabs a pillow and starts hitting Noah with it. "And in other cases he just thinks it's a good idea to randomly hit people with a pillow."

I chuckle slightly before Noah snatches the pillow from Max and starts hitting him repeatedly.

Max splutters, feeling around the bed until his hand finds a another pillow, which he picks up and starts hitting Noah back with it.

A few minutes later, Noah throws the pillow somewhere in the room and captures Max in a headlock. He holds him like that for a few seconds before pushing him off the bed, but it doesn't work out for him in the end as Max grabs his shorts and they both go tumbling down and land in a heap on the floor.

Max bursts out laughing and Noah joins in.

Oh my frickle frackle, Noah's laughing.

Not a short, little chuckle like yesterday, but a full on, genuine, I'm cracking up so much I'm going to die, laugh.

My mouth drops.

He should laugh more. It's a nice sound...that sounds fucking cliché. Ignore that.

I look at Dylan who has a sad smile on his face.

"He hasn't laughed like that for a long time." He whispers.

What the f--

"Wha--"

I'm cut off by Tanya yelling from downstairs. "Kids, breakfast!"

Noah and Max immediately get up off the ground and run out of the room.

I turn to Dylan. "What did you mean when you said 'Noah hasn't laughed like that for a long time'?"

Dylan looks confused before a slightly panicked look falls on his face. "I said that out loud?"

"No, I used my magical powers and read your mind." I deadpan sarcastically. "Now what the hell are you panicking about?"

"Uh, well, um--what Max?!" He stutters and practically runs out of the room.

"Max didn't even call for you." I mumble, walking out of Noah's room and trudging down the stairs, into the kitchen. "Asshole."

"You're an asshole!" Dylan shouts loudly at me, having heard my quiet insult against him.

"What's an asshole?" Danny questions as he stops chewing a piece of his pancake.

Tanya glares at Dylan and he sinks down in his seat.

"Dylan." I say simply. "It's what Dylan is."

"Oh." Danny nods before speaking up again. "How are babies made?"

Max chokes on his orange juice, Dylan spills his glass of water, Noah stops his forkful of eggs halfway to his mouth and stares at Danny horrified and Tanya nearly faints.

"Um, well, you see, honey--ask your brother." Tanya stutters out, making Noah choke on his spit.

He glares at his mother before turning to Danny. "I wouldn't know, I'm a good boy. Ask Max."

"I'M TOO INNOCENT FOR THIS!" Max shouts. "ASK DYLAN."

"Well, uh, ask Nevaeh!" Dylan yells, pointing at me.

I raise an eyebrow as everyone stares at me.

I shrug before starting my explanation. "Well, you see, Danny, when two people love each other very much, they eat meatballs. The meatball grows inside the mommy's belly until she eventually poops out a baby nine months later."

"Oh my God, THAT'S WORSE THAN THE ACTUAL THING!" Max screeches, covering his ears.