47

[Chapter forty-seven]

-Nevaeh-

"Heyooo!" Megan chirps as she walks into the room with a box in one hand and a plastic bag in the other.

I eye the box. "Is...is that an Easy-Bake oven?"

"Yup." She confirms cheerfully, dragging the food tray over, taking the Easy-Bake oven out of the box and putting it in front of me before pouring the contents of the plastic bag out.

"Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate chip cookie, Cheese pizza, Chocolate truffles, Chocolate and creme cake, Party Pretzel dippers." I raise an eyebrow as I look through the mixes. "What're we going to do, have a tea party with fucking Annabelle?"

"We do not bring that creepy doll up." Megan points a finger at me. "That movie scared the doo-doo out of me."

"Doo-doo." I mutter under my breath in amusement.

"Yes, doo-doo." She emphasises. "Don't judge me."

I chuckle under my breath, putting my hands up in surrender. "Not judging."

"Good." She kicks her shoes off and carefully climbs in bed next to me. "Time to Easy-Bake!"

*~*

"Wait, Vaeh, don't to—"

"Ah! Fuck, shit, fuck!"

"-uch that." She trails off. "It's—"

"Fucking hot." I put my finger in my mouth. "Why didn't you stop me from touching the damn tray?"

"I tried!" She defends herself. "You're just an idiot."

I pout. "Rude."

"Love you."

"Love you, too."

*~*

"Uh, Meg?"

"Yeah?"

"I think you overcooked these." I point down at the chocolate chips cookies.

"What? No, I didn't." She shakes her head.

I raise a challenging eyebrow before picking one up and banging it against the edge of the food tray. It creates a knocking sound.

"Okay, maybe I overcooked it."

"No shit." I roll my eyes, a small smile on my face before I sigh. "Meg?"

"Yeah, Vaeh?"

"I know what three songs I want played at my funeral."

She looks at me seriously. "No, don't talk like that. You're not dying."

"Well, it's happening whether we like it or not." I tell her.

She sighs. "What three songs?"

"Let Her Go by Passenger, If I Die Young by The Band Perry, and the New Zealand national anthem." I list off.

"Those aren't really funeral songs." She whispers, her eyes getting glassy.

I shrug. "Let Her Go is to tell people to not mourn my death and let me go, the New Zealand national anthem is just because I'm from New Zealand, and If I Die Young is...well, I just like that song."

"Nevaeh..."

"Megan, I love you." I tell her. "Thank you for being my best friend from the moment I moved here four years ago, and thank you for having my back. Thank you for everything. I love you so much, Meg."