49

Let Her Go ~ Passenger^^

[Chapter forty-nine]

-Noah-

{ Well you only need the light when it's burning low
Only miss the sun when it starts to snow
Only know you love her when you let her go
Only know you've been high when you're feeling low
Only hate the road when you're missing home
Only know you love her when you let her go
And you let her go... }

I stare down at Nevaeh in the dim lighting as she sleeps, my hand grasping hers.

She's gotten worse in the last couple of days.

She sleeps a lot, she doesn't eat, she barely drinks water.

"Stop staring." She croaks out without opening her eyes.

"If I were cliché I'd say 'I'm admiring'." I start, a small smile on my lips as I repeat what she said to me when she came back. "But I'm not. I can't help it, you're ugly."

"Okay, first of all, that's my line." She opens her eyes and stares up at me, a small smile on her face. "Second of all, you and I both know I'd be the prettiest damn clown in the circus, remember?"

I chuckle softly, brushing her hair away from her eyes. "Carter, you're the most beautiful person I've ever laid eyes on."

She crinkles her nose. "Stop being cheesy."

I smile slightly. "I'm not being cheesy, I'm stating facts."

She gives me a grin, her dimples popping. "Still cheesy."

That smile.

That damn smile.

How the hell am I supposed to get used to not seeing that smile everyday?

I have to let her go.

But I can't.

{ Staring at the bottom of your glass
Hoping one day you'll make a dream last
But dreams come slow and they go so fast
You see her when you close your eyes
Maybe one day you'll understand why
Everything you touch surely dies }

I stare at the bottom of my glass of Coke as Max, Dylan and I sit around our dorm island in silence.

Mum sent us home to shower and relax for a bit while Megan and Danny spent some time with Nevaeh.

We didn't leave until she threatened to beat our arses with her shoe.

Oh, how I love my mum.

"What was I thinking?" Max suddenly pipes up, making Dylan and I look share a look before staring at Max in confusion. "What the hell was I thinking when I decided to talk to Nevaeh in detention three years ago?"

Dylan frowns, his eyebrows furrowing as his mood dampens and he looks at Max in sadness. "Max..."

"We promised we wouldn't get close to anyone after Anthony and I still got close to her and dragged the two of you with me." Max doesn't look up from his glass of milk. "And now, we're going to lose her."

"You know what, Max?" I start, making him look at me. "I'm glad you dragged us with you and sat down next to Carter all those years ago. If you hadn't, you wouldn't be dating Megan and I wouldn't be dating Carter. Dylan most likely wouldn't have come out. And we wouldn't have Carter in our lives. We're lucky to have known Carter even if it was only for four years."