Story of Shaykh Sharif al-Ya'qoubi

QOTD: There's always Hikmah behind whatever situation we're facing right now. Allah must want us to improve our characters through that situation. His plans are always to elevate our ranks for the next world.

Chapter 48: Story of Shaykh Sharif al-Ya'qoubi

I would like to share a story which caused my heart to break in humility when I heard it.

Shaykh Sharif al-Ya'qoubi lost many children in life and then Allah blessed him with a son that grew up in front of him and he dearly loved him.

One day, the Shaykh’s son was murdered by a man after an argument and he was taken to prison. When he found out what happened, he rushed to the police station, covered his face with his arm and said, ‘Let the man who murdered my son go. I forgive him and do not want revenge. I simply ask that he repents to Allāh.’ The police were stunned and they let the man go after he committed murder due to the request of the Shaykh.

People then asked Shaykh Sharif why he was covering his eyes and he replied, 'I do not want to see his face because I don’t want to treat him any differently if I see him on the street despite what he did. Now I can give him salam on the street without hatred because I don’t know him. I can honour him if he comes to my home. And I can help him and be generous to him when he is need. I spent my whole life worshipping Allah with a pure heart. I don’t want to spoil it with hatred now.’

Subhān'Allāh, what a level these people were on! If we possessed Tasawuf and Muhammadan mercy ﷺ like this then the whole world would accept Islam.

- Shaykh Mohammed Aslam