02 | Mommy Dearest

CHAPTER 2

My eyes were filled with tears while I took a spoonful of chocolate ice cream. I was watching the last part of Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham which will explain the tears. It was my favorite movie and I lost count on how many times I have watched and cried.

I'm a goner when it comes to Shahrukh Khan.

When the credits started rolling, I switched off the telly and walked to my room. It was completely pink and straight comes out of fairytale-like I'm a princess except I'm not one for it. The one who designed it was my mom and I had no word in it. Once I have painted the whole walls black and when she caught me she had a horrified look on her face as if she caught her daughter drunk.

"Girls are supposed to be graceful and beautiful. They should go for colors like Pink, yellow and light colors. Black is for boys and it is so dark." I mimicked her tune and cuddled with my teddy bear hoping to see a beautiful dream but little did I know that next morning is going to be a nightmare.

×××

"Anika Reynolds, you better be awake now." I squinted my eyes to adjust to the bright sunlight peeking through the window. I yawned and stretched completely forgetting the voice which woke me up in the first place.

The door creaked a little and my eyes widened when I took the appearance of my mom. The steam was coming out of her ears and her face was red with anger.

Oops, mommy dearest is here.

"You little - " She came forward but dad held her wrist stopping her from attacking me. I know mom wouldn't hurt me but her weapon was her words. But in this years, I have learnt to hear it in one ear and let it go in another. Simple.

"Let her take a shower and we will talk in the living room. We also need to freshen up after the long journey." Dad said but the disappointment in his eyes is obvious. Mom glared but eventually nodded and followed my dad out of the door.

I walked to the bathroom, took a shower and dressed in black jeans, white crop top with a red cardigan. I decided to put my hair down because I was too lazy to tie it in a ponytail. I checked my phone to see if there were any messages from my best friends. I replied them and climbed down the stairs to find my mom and dad already there.

"Since you are at home now instead of school, I guess what I heard is true," Mom said looking at me.

Dad sighed and shook his head. "We weren't expecting you to get suspended, Anika. It is going to be a bad mark in your record."

I would have been worried about my record because it can affect my future but not when my future was already planned. Soon after the graduation, I'm sure I will be assisting dad or sticking with mom when both their profession didn't satisfy me. I'm the only heir and I have to take up the company eventually.

"I was not expelled, was I?" I asked getting annoyed with their behavior. They didn't even ask the reason for my suspension.

"I believe we taught you better manners, young lady." Mom commented and I clenched my fist. "If this is the way you are going to act, then you are becoming a disgrace to the family."

Tears pricked my eyes but I wasn't going to yell at my mother. I was not going to remind her that it was her family who disowned her but I have always looked up to her. She was a strong woman and even after the arguments she had with her family, she stayed in India for five years hoping that they would accept her family. When it was timed up, she chose her daughter and husband over her family.