04 | Once upon a time

CHAPTER 4

When I stepped into Once upon a time, a bookstore and cafe, I found myself calming with the silence it offered. The welcome scent of coffee wafts, the books of all kinds, invited me to take a seat on the corner of the shop. It was only a few years back when I started appreciating the beauty in words and getting lost in the fictional world.

It was still early in the morning, everyone was in the arms of sleep and when everyone began their day with a smile, mine started on a bad note. It has been only two days after the dinner with the Oberois which means I have to attend school today. Last day, when I was having dinner, mom thought it would be a good idea to talk about my future. A future they have already planned out for me, it was a few words here and there, then we argued till the dusk. I didn't even stay to take my make-up kit to hide the dark circles under my eyes before I ran to here.

I hate my life.

Sighing, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. When I opened, I saw my best friend's hazel eyes staring at me with concern. Once upon a time was owned by Tessa's mom and she volunteered to help her in the early mornings and late nights, the perfect place for bookworms like her.

"Are you okay?" She asked me as she took a seat across from me.

"I am great. Remember, I am Anika Reynolds and nothing can break me," I chuckled and she shook her head.

"You know that I am always here for you, right? I will do anything for you," She promised again and I smiled.

"Maybe you can kill a blue-eyed monster and set me up a date with Shahrukh Khan. You will be the bestest best friend in the world then," I winked and she rolled her eyes.

She walked towards the coffee machine, taking two cups in her hands. "You know, Andrea is throwing a welcome party for your arch-nemesis."

"I don't understand what people see in him." I groaned thinking about the day Shivaye joined the school. The girls went crazy as if Brad Pitt came to their school and he is the new hero of our school. I feel so sorry for the jocks who spend their lifetime in gyms and maintaining their reputation but I don't think anyone even glanced in their way last two days.

"You gotta admit that he got looks, girl. And not to forget, he was once your best friend too," She said, handing me the cup of coffee.

"That was once upon a time, Tessa. We are not living in a fairytale." I took a sip of the warm liquid, loving the taste of the coffee.

"Literally, we are at Once upon a time, Anika. Maybe I can write a story for you, till now it is perfect for a cliche book. Like you were best friends before, then enemies and now he is back to your life," She said and I grimaced at the thought. No way.

"It is a nightmare," I stood up collecting my things, not reading in the first place. "I am also happy in a relationship with my chocolates."

"Whatever, Anika. Let us make your face a little pretty and go to school," Tessa said and I walked towards the small washroom in the other end.

"I am already breathtakingly beautiful," I commented and she smacked my head.

"Sure you are and that is why you never had a boyfriend,"

"Anika Reynolds doesn't need a boyfriend, Tessa," I said as I ran a mascara over my eyes and applied a pink shade lipstick.

"Are you done? Because unlike someone, I want to study." She said heading for the door.

"Have a great day, girls." Tessa's mother yelled and I waved at her before entering to my car.

I am sure it will be a great day indeed.