03 | Bubble bath

CHAPTER 3

There are moments in your life where you wish you had died better than facing the moment. I was in the same situation where I thought about pretending to be sick, sprain my ankles or even sneak out through the window but nothing would happen when you have a mother who watches you every moment and the guests who are invited to come reaches earlier than expected to give you no time to make a move.

That is why I'm here dining with my family and his parents. I mentally danced when I didn't see him at the door but too late when his mom said that he will join the dinner with his brothers.

Brothers? He is an only son and that was the only common thing with us.

"Anika, why aren't you eating anything dear?" Pinky Aunty, his mother asked me with concern. She was a loving mother but once, she had taken away my chocolates telling it wasn't good for health. She always tried to feed me and her son but when it comes to food, my mom outshined her.

"I am good, thanks," I said taking a sip of water. I was waiting for them to leave so I can happily have my Aloo Puri without eating like a pig in front of them.

Pinky Aunty shook her head in disapproval and gave me a pointed look. "You know I had to look at you twice to confirm you were the same little Anika who broke my vase. You are so skinny now and I blame you Asha for that. Now that I'm here, I will take care of her."

Okay, I'm going to pack my bags and go to Uganda away from her and her stupid son.

She hasn't changed much except that her hair is longer now. Dad and Shakti Uncle were talking about business like they normally do and nothing has changed between them. Soon, mom and Pinky Aunty started talking about the latest trends and fashion. I rolled my eyes and took it as the best opportunity to eat the food like I do.

The bell rang suddenly making my spoon drop to the plate. The elders looked at me weirdly but I just shrugged and ducked my head.

He is here, after five long years.

"Anika, go get the door," Dad said and I forced a smile and stood up straightening my dress. Looked like even luck is not on my side today.

I took a deep breath and opened the door. I was greeted with the same blue eyes which glared at me always years ago. In front of me was no longer the thirteen-year-old boy but a young man who was looking dashing and handsome, ready to steal the heart of girls.

He wore a black tee with a brown jacket over, blue jeans and white vans to finish the look. No one would have ever thought the little kid could look like this.

"Done checking me out?" He asked and I lifted my eyes to meet his, masking my surprise.

"Hello to you too, Shivaye and there isn't anything to check." I rolled my eyes moving aside giving him space to enter.

"You wish." He smirked and trust me, right now I need to know his secret of how he turned like this.

"Thanks for welcoming us in." That is when I noticed there were two other boys in the house too. I tilted my head and my eyes widened as I looked at the younger one.

"Aren't you the protein shake boy?" I asked pointing at him and the smile on his face dropped.

"Now the world knows your obsession with it." The elder one with long black hair commented. He looked familiar, I wrecked my brain and the memory appeared. "Hi, it is good to see you again."

"Okay, you better introduce yourself now," I said crossing my arms over the chest. It was confusing but then again there were no similarities between them for being brothers.