― vi. shut up, smith!

𝓢𝐡𝐮𝐭 𝓤𝐩, 𝓢𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐡!

𝓢𝐡𝐮𝐭 𝓤𝐩, 𝓢𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐡!

"I'm glad you decided you'll do it!" Hermione spoke brightly on the Saturday of their first Hogsmeade weekend in October. "Quite a few people are interested in hearing what you've got to say."

"R-right." Harry toyed with his toast.

Ron paused his attack on his sausages. Edelyn had been uncharacteristically quiet that morning and was currently swirling her spoon in her untouched bowl of porridge with one hand while fiddling with the golden snitch around her neck with the other, eyes absentmindedly staring off towards the Hufflepuff table.

"Lyn?" Ron nudged her lightly in the arm.

Edelyn gave a distracted, "Hmm?"

"You haven't eaten anything," he stated.

"Oh." Edelyn shrugged. "Porridge is too — erm — bland this morning." 

Ron glanced around. "Oie, Dean! Pass me a muffin, will you? Blueberry."

Edelyn smiled but only nibbled at the muffin top. 

"Anything on your mind?" Hermione asked hesitantly. 

Edelyn forced the corners of her mouth up. "Looking forward to the meeting," she said. Her smile faded, however, as the day progressed and disappeared completely by the time they settled themselves in the Hog's Head. 

"So, who did you say is supposed to be meeting us?" Harry asked. He wrenched open the top of a bottle of butterbeer and handed it to Edelyn.

"Just a couple of people," replied Hermione off-handedly.

Ron studied worriedly at Edelyn. She was holding the bottle of butterbeer in her two hands and staring intensely at the floor. "Lyn, you sure nothing's—?" he began.

"I'm fine, Ron."

"Knock it off, will you? I can tell when something's—"

The door of the Hog's Head swung open and a large crowd of people came rushing in, murmuring with excitement. Harry paled. "A couple of people?" he said hoarsely to Hermione. "A couple of people?"

"Yes, well, the idea seemed quite popular," said Hermione, beaming happily at the group.

Once everyone had taken their seats and the Weasley twins had bought everyone butterbeer, the pub went quiet and they all stared expectantly at Harry. His hands went clammy and he turned to look desperately at Hermione. 

Hermione coughed to clear her throat. "H-hello." Her voice rang higher than usual. "Um...Well, you know why you're here. I had the idea that it might be good to study Defence Against the Dark Arts outside of Umbridge's classes — and I mean really study it, not just theory, but spells. Because..." Hermione gulped. "Lord Voldemort's back."