xxvi. AS THE WORLD FADES

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX AS THE WORLD FADES

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX 
AS THE WORLD FADES

▴ ▿ ▴ ▿ ▴ ▿ ▴ ▿ ▴

The day of the dance finally arrived, much to the joy of the majority of Beacon Hills' teenage girl population. I say majority because there were definitely a few who which the day would never come at all.

  The majority of that specific group was mainly the girls who weren't going at all. The other percent of it seemed to be me and Allison. Allison, as she had told me countless times over the phone, that she didn't understand why we had to go in the first place. Even though I had explained to her hundreds of times that she was going to have to go, considering Lydia would promptly rip her throat out. But her sad excuse of 'I don't like dances' definitely wasn't going to fly.

  I knew the exact real reason she was having cold feet about this whole dance fiasco: she wasn't going with Scott. You could see the pure disappointment in her face every time the subject was brought up. Because just like Scott, she hadn't gotten over the breakup. She'll plaster on a smile and say she's fine, but anyone in a twenty mile radius of Allison could tell she was in fact, not fine.

  She was going with Jackson, who Scott had basically scared him into it. She and Jackson were somewhat friends, but that didn't mean she wanted to spend all night with a guy who was probably going to do nothing but get drunk.

  And then there was me. If I told anyone that I didn't want to go, they'd question me relentlessly. Why not? they'd ask. You have the perfect dress, the perfect boyfriend/date. Go out and have the time of your freaking life!

  And yeah, I guess that was all true. But I was petrified about the whole Peter thing. Even though Stiles was sure that he wouldn't go Alpha in public, it wasn't very reassuring. What if he attacked the dance? What if he took Allison to get to Kate to get to Derek so he could complete his weird pack thing?

  The other question I had for the big bad wolf is what exactly did he want with me? Surely if he wanted me in his pack, I would have already been bitten by now. That night in the woods, he seemed to only make a break for Scott. He bit Scott; he wanted him and him alone. And me? I was blasted into a tree root which caused me a headache the size of Russia.

  But his threat still echoed through my mind.

  The werewolf gift will curse through your veins at some point.

  You can only fight back for so long, Carson.

  Those words made me very scared for what the future held.

  I got ready for the dance anyways though. I mean, I spent over fifty bucks on this dress. I wasn't not going to wear it. And besides, a part of me did want to go to the dance. That was the normal teenage girl part of me, the one unaffected by the werewolf hysteria. It was the part of me that wanted to bum off whatever kind of alcohol Danny brought and wanted to slow dance and make out with her boyfriend.