Chapter 6

Explain. What do I explain? How do I explain?

I decided to reveal as little as I could. "First off, what did Penelope tell you? Because she lies, a lot..."

Ashlynn appeared quite confused, but nevertheless, she filled me in on what I missed. "Well, she was making small talk, and then she politely asked why I was over. So I told her I was driving you to the sleepover. Then she asked if I was your friend. And I told her that of course I was. Why else would I be at your house? But the last part...What was she talking about?"

"She's under the impression that I used people and faked being their friend," I lied. How could I tell her the real story? She would never understand; she couldn't understand.

"Well, is it true?"

Yes. "Of course not. I would never do that, especially to you," I promised her.

"What was the 'incident' you were talking about? What do you feel guilty about?" I could tell how relieved she was, finally asking me all these questions.

"Something happened to one of our friends, and it's our fault. It's just...I don't really like to talk about it, I'm sorry." I broke eye contact with her; I couldn't bear it. I didn't want to see judgmental eyes staring back at me. I hadn't even told Lillia, Jake, or Joey. Why would I tell her? She would never look at me the same.

"Please look at me," she whispered.

I was terrified. I was scared of looking into her judgmental eyes; I didn't want to answer her unending questions. If she knew the real me, she would never want anything to do with me again. She would only see the worst in me.

"Emily, please." In that moment, she reminded me of Ana, speaking in a hushed tone. Her voice was more of a plea, and she had the same charm as my little sister. I couldn't resist looking.

Surprisingly, her eyes weren't filled with disgust or judgment. They weren't overfilling with questions, ready to spill out any second. Instead, she had a look consumed with concern and sympathy.

Was I wrong? Maybe she wouldn't judge me for telling her. Maybe it would feel good—being able to tell someone.

" You don't have to tell me. But if you ever want to talk, I'll be here. Always. I promise."

Words cannot explain how I felt towards this girl, I was so thankful that I had her in my life. If it was anyone else, they would have prodded me with questions until I popped. But not Ashlynn; she was always looking out for everyone else.

And then there was me, only ever looking out for myself.

I didn't really deserve such an amazing friend. I lied to her and barely answered any of her questions, but she didn't push for any answers.

"You're the best, really. Thank you," I whispered. She leaned over and hugged me, and just like that, everything was back to normal.

She shifted the gear into drive, and drove off to Annabel's house.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The remainder of the night at Annabel's was peaceful. Ashlynn didn't say another word about earlier, which I was beyond thankful for.

I could tell that my friends were hesitant before they ate their cookies, knowing how terrible of a cook I was. Ashlynn was the brave warrior that took one for the team. When she took a bite she looked like she had just seen Zac Efron standing in the doorway or something.

"OH MY GOD. THIS IS AMAZING, EMILY!" she shrieked.

Later on, we ate pizza and pigged out on snacks, while watching a marathon of romance movies, the best of all the genres.