Chapter 27

The next few days went by routinely: eating continental breakfast together, exploring islands, swimming, a "special" daily activity (rock wall climbing, bowling, spa), and dinner. Aside from a few arguments and intense staredowns, the trip turned out fine.

"Can we talk?" Jake asked, making me jump.

"Sure," I replied, motioning for him to sit in the balcony chair beside me.

"Why are you still mad at me?" he straightforwardly questioned.

"I don't know," I honestly said. "Joey and I aren't even dating anymore."

"I promise I didn't tell your mom," Jake muttered.

"Jake, I don't even care if you did or not, but at least own up to it," I groaned.

"I will not own up to it because I didn't do it," he firmly retorts.

"You seriously didn't?"

"Of course not? Why would I?"

"I don't know, because you were upset," I suggested.

"Isn't there anyone else who might have seen you two together at a party and had an unresolved hatred for you or something?"

"The only person that I know of declared that she wasn't interested in getting revenge anymore," I truthfully replied. Ariana was the only person I knew to have vowed revenge on me, but she didn't even know about Joey and me.

Unless she did know...

"I'm so sorry for everything: accusing you, going behind your back with Joey...all of it," I confessed.

"It's alright, Em," he chortled. "I came here for amends, anyways."

"So, are we good now?"

"We are," he reassured. He leaned over and gave me a friendly hug, before I retreated from my seat, making my way to the guys' room.

After a few knocks, the door swung open to reveal Joey staring at me with wide, surprised eyes.

"Excuse me," I murmured, pushing past him. I barged into his room and immediately spotted Lillia.

"Em, what's wrong?" Lillia asked with confusion clear as day in her voice.

"Did you tell Ariana that Joey and I were dating?"

"Yeah...why?"

"Nothing," I sighed. That was all the proof I needed. I excused myself and made my way out onto the balcony. I selected Ariana's contact, clicked the call icon next to her phone number, and waited to hear her voice on the other line.

"Hey, Ariana. How are you?" I began, twirling my hair around my fingers.

"I'm alright. What's up?"

"Wanna hear something funny? Right after you showed up, my mom received a mysterious letter exposing my relationship with Joey. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you?"

"If you're suggesting that I have something to do with it, then I'm afraid you're wrong."

"Bullshit."

"Excuse me?" she scoffed. "I'm sorry if you don't believe me, but--"

"But I don't," I interrupted.

"--but you have no proof," she continued.

"Stay away from my friends and me," I warned.

"And if I don't?" she tested.

"Then I won't think twice before telling everyone what really happened that night," I immediately retorted, surprised by my sudden confidence.