Chapter 39

"W-what? Joey has a... Did you say--so he, um," I stammered. While still struggling to grasp the concept, I lamely muttered, "Oh. Cool."

Lillia rolled her eyes, replying in a hushed tone. "You don't care, though, remember? You don't like him."

"Yeah, obviously. Of course. Absolutely," I rambled, squeezing my eyes shut. I was so glad it was too dark to see the blush plastered onto my cheeks. "I am completely, entirely, one hundred percent happy for him. Wow, that's amazing, awesome, superb..."

"Uh-huh, sure," Lillia dismissed, stifling a yawn.

"Good night," I murmured.

"And, Em?" Lillia whispered, her eyes fluttering closed. "Remember that you turned him down, not the other way around."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Ta-da! Perfect," Lillia announced, capping her mascara wand. In a single, swift motion, she twisted me around, allowing me to admire my reflection in the mirror.

"Wow," I gushed. Lillia had painted a perfect smoky eye onto my eyelid and had curled my hair to perfection. She insisted that, as a 'newly single woman', I was obligated to look 'fiery hot' at this year's New Year's Party.

"I know, right? Now, shimmy into that little dress of yours so we can get moving!" Lillia rushed, snapping her fingers.

Moments later, we were paying our fare to the taxi driver. After thanking him, we entered the gates that lead to Alexis Simon's "New Year's Bash". The house was festively decorated, topped of with what looked to be a mile's worth of fairy lights. There was also an array of Christmas wreaths, Santa statues, and mistletoe, which I would deliberately be avoiding.

Unlike most parties I attended, Alexis made sure her parties were well kept. So, as opposed to the usual--teenagers sporadically scattered across the lawn and house, half-full or completely empty cups littered across the floors, and the dominating odor of sweat--we were greeted with only a few cups neatly lined up along the side tables and the fresh scent of fruit.

"We're on our way...okay...yep, bye," Lillia dismissed, hanging up on the call.

"Who were you talking to?" I asked.

"Jake," she muttered, biting her lip. Based on her reaction, I knew she was lying, but I didn't question it. I simply let her grab my hand and followed her as we maneuvered our way through the swarm of teenagers.

"There they are!" I followed her pointed hand and made awkward eye contact with Joey. Immediately, he averted his eyes and smiled at Lillia. Joey discreetly slid his phone back into his pocket, and I immediately knew that it was him whom Lillia was on the phone with.

"Hey, Em," Jake greeted, giving me a quick side hug. I wasn't sure when the guys had arrived, but I knew it had to have been a while ago, seeing as he was already radiating the scent of alcohol. "You look pretty," he gawked, nodding as his eyes scanned my body.

"Thank you," I murmured. "So, uh, where's Marietta?"

"She should be here soon. I'm going to wait for her outside," Jake dismissed, pushing past me without another glance.

I slowly turned back around to face Joey and Lillia and...a girl?

I nudged Lillia, who was bursting with laughter, and she looked at me as if she just discovered that I had been standing here all along. "Who's the chick?" I awkwardly asked, ignoring the glare she was most likely giving me. Given the raucous music, I couldn't exactly speak quietly.

"I'm Aubrey," she introduced herself, holding her hand out for me to shake. Subtly, I examined her, straightaway noticing how the fingers of her free hand were delicately entwined with Joey's.