Chapter 41

*A picture of her necklace to the top*

"May I come in?" asked a muffled voice from outside my bedroom door.

Agitatedly, I fumbled with my remote to pause my Netflix show. Couldn't my intruder see that I was trying to hang out with my friends? "Come in, Dad."

He obeyed, rushing to the side of my bed. "I bought you a gift."

The excitement was evident in his voice, his expression, and his overall body language. So naturally, my own excitement began to blister as well. I tore open the envelope that was handed to me, sifting out a card.

Written in an extravagant, golden manuscript were the words "You are cordially invited to the 25th Annual Father-Daughter Ball." Beneath the date, time, and location were three printed tickets.

"I totally forgot about this!" I ecstatically shrieked. The Father-Daughter Ball was held at a profligate, exquisitely decorated hall. And it was exactly what it sounded like. Daughters and their Dad's gathered in luxurious gowns and suits, ate an ostentatious meal, got a formal photo taken together, and danced the night away. It was all sorts of fun, and it had been a tradition with my dad since I was a toddler.

"What a great surprise, then," my dad smiled. I enveloped him in a hug, thanking him over and over. Tucking the tickets and invitation into my desk drawer for safekeeping, I casually asked, "So will you be joining us for White Week?"

"As much as I'd love to," he began, sucking in a deep breath, "I can't. I have a business seminar that week, and my attendance is crucial."

"Alright," I murmured behind his retreating figure.

White Week was a seven-day long event, beginning tomorrow, that took place at many different locations around the United States. A few individuals were chosen to speak at them to share business tips and the like, and because my friend's parents and my mother were prominent speakers, we were able to attend each day, whereas most guests only attended once. This year's trail went: Boston, Virginia Beach, Atlanta, Dallas, Las Vegas, Seattle, and Bloomington, Minnesota.

The actual event was tremendously dull, but it was still fun dressing up in all white for the day. Besides, when it was over, we were free to roam the area and go sightseeing.

Since I had finished packing earlier, essentially grabbing every white article of clothing I owned, I was free to spend my night with Netflix. After all, it was very important to learn what my wise friends, Serena Van der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf, were up to.

I was halfway through the next episode when when my phone buzzed from beneath my pillow.

Joey: Wanna hang out?

Emily: Where's Amy?

Joey: Seriously, stop. Aubrey*

Emily: Where is she?

Joey: Home. Do YOU want to hang out or not?

Emily: I guess.

Joey: Okay. On my way.

While I wasn't quite sure whether or not this would be a wise idea, I felt comfort in remembering that I was notorious for making bad decisions, and I would probably do it regardless. So, I climbed out of bed and threw on a fresh pair of clothes, opposed to my previous wardrobe choice of pajamas.