instead

Katsuki stares at the man in front of him, transfixed.
He is sure his mouth is hanging wide open, but all he can focus on is Shouto.

The way that Shouto sings every word from memory, the glint in his eyes that wasn't there before, the way his hair would float around, wrapping his words in a delicate facade of joy.

"They're not a threat anymore," the wizard says, glancing wistfully at the starry sky. "No one can hurt you, as long as I'm here."

"Shouto—" the name feels weird on the top of his tongue. "I can take care of myself. I'm not some weak-ass pussy you decided to take in because you were too goddamn lonely and pathetic!"

Todoroki stares at him, and Bakugou sees something inside the former break.
"Very well, then," the taller of the two muses, his voice cold, "if that's what you think, I'm better off going now."

He's only accompanied by the dead bodies of his friends as he watches the moonlight glow in the space Shouto had once been.

~

Jirou and Momo receive the news the next day.

"What," the shorter of the two hiccups, her eyes red and puffy, "why, Kacchan, you, you're a pro, and you couldn't fucking protect them!"

"For your information," he says, so calmly it's almost scary, "I was drunk, plus, Deku, the little brat, had—"

"Drunk?" Yaoyorozu asks, disbelief lacing her voice, "what? Why in the world you were drunk?" Her sharp eyes fixated themselves onto him.

"Well, I don't know, maybe because I didn't want to be here, and maybe because I finally found someone I loved!" The moment it comes out of his mouth, even his own eyes widen in surprise.

"Who?" Both girls question at the same time.

"Shouto."

"Elaborate, please."

"Shouto," Katsuki smirks, his eyes gleaming, "Shouto Todoroki."

"And?"

"He's the one who killed our friends."

~

"What the actual fuck, Icyhot." His lion form growls.

The man in front of him turns to face him, a hungry glint in Todoroki's eyes. "Stop calling me that shitty name. Icyhot."

The putrid smell of copper and blood fills the air.  A buzzing sound surrounds the area around him, and it's all he can hear.
Dead bodies litter the streets of his hometown ; flies flitting around each corpse, the streetlights painted with a deep shade of red.

Another flash of bright crimson drops down onto the gravel as Bakugou lunges at the heterochromatic eyed man, creating a large wound in the latter's back.

A ripping sound is heard as his shirt rips as he takes on the form of a dragon. The spikes jut out from under his red and orange scales, and he watches in satisfaction as Todoroki's face morphs into one of surprise.