Chapter 12

I held my breath as Adrian stepped back from the new wolves. The transformation had been magical. I'd never seen a new shift before. From the struggle against nature's call to the surrender and shift, everything absolutely fascinated me. These new wolves sniffed their paws as if discovering themselves for the first time. When they looked up at Adrian, everyone fell quiet. This was a key moment for the pack.

My wolf preened in pride for our mate as he stared down the pups, mostly likely using a mind link from wolf to wolf to secure their allegiance. Several seconds passed, and no one moved. Not even the young wolves. My heart started racing, and my wolf took a step forward. I trembled at the little shudder of power that pulsed from her. What was she doing?

Adrian took a step back, turning slightly towards me. The young wolves' gazes shifted from my mate to me, sparking something deep in my chest. I stared back at the wolves, actually seeing the flicker of fear in their yellow-gray eyes.

"Sierra."

I jumped as Adrian touched my arm. He took my hand in his and pulled me forward until I stood several yards away from the shifters. He squeezed my shoulders and stood right behind me, his chest pressing into my back.

"They'll only submit to you," he whispered against my ear, causing my wolf to stand at full attention with her head high.

"Why me?" I squeaked, shrinking back against him.

"...because you're the alpha."

His words punched me in the chest. This was where his authority as acting alpha stopped. He could do nearly everything else, but not demand allegiance from new shifters. That was something only a true alpha could do.

Adrian dragged his hands down my arms and up again. "You can do this, love. It doesn't bother me that you have to do this. You need to show them who you are."

I spun to face him, my eyes going wider than I thought possible and my heart pounding against my ribs. Showing 'them' who I was didn't just mean the new wolves. It meant everyone. We were going to announce my place as alpha right here, right now.

"Adrian, I—"

"It's okay, Sia. Everything is going to be okay." He brushed a kiss to my lips before turning me back to the wolves, his fingertips resting on my forearms. The shifters still stared at me, unmoving except for their breaths.

I let my wolf take another step forward, her power and dominance oozing heat into my body. Even if I didn't have a clue what I was doing, she certainly did. I would need her to help me get through this.

She met the gazes of the young wolves and held them in a paralyzing stare. Something sizzled and crackled in my veins, almost like my blood was starting to boil.The heat and scent of ultimate power rapidly increased until it flooded my senses. I could see the boys in their eyes, squirming under her alpha trance. They clearly didn't like the idea of submitting to a girl.

Do you accept me as your alpha?

The spotty wolf snarled just a little, his lips quivered over his teeth. A few of the students gasped. They knew the consequences of refusing an alpha. The grayish wolf lowered his head but didn't break eye contact.

Do you accept me as your alpha? she repeated, a little more forcefully.

Still, no reaction. My wolf took a powerful step to the forefront of my mind, not quite taking control but being a step away from it.

Submit!

A wave of heat poured out of my body, the alpha power overwhelming me and the shifters. My alpha wolf had taken full control, and I was forced to watch everything from the back of mymind. It was almost like looking through a foggy window, everything just alittle misted over with the amount of energy she was putting forth.