Chapter 28

Adrian clutched his silver knife as he jumped over the fence surrounding a run-down compound. The place was a perfect cover for a revenge-bent maniac. He'd tracked Sierra for several miles before her scent and tracks disappeared. Thankfully, his heightened alpha power helped him follow a second, very faint scent to this place. His best warriors had split off to stage a distraction attack.

With the guards distracted, he ran from one building to the next. He'd lost touch with Sierra's wolf awhile ago, leaving him completely blind to her location. His only lead was that faint scent that someone had clearly tried to cover.

"Well now!"

He froze as a male voice filled the air. As the ice lined his veins, he slowly turned to face the speaker. Just shorter than himself, sandy brown hair, blue eyes, bulky form from years of training, no tattoos, and a tiny crescent-shaped birthmark at the corner of one eye.

What the...

"Let me guess..." the punk sneered. "You're here for the girl. Hate to disappoint you, but she's a bit tied up at the moment."

Adrian dug his fingernails into his palms and sucked in a deep breath. "Where is she?"

"Sorry. We still have some family business to finish." The young man looked over Adrian with a very skeptical eye. "I wish we could stand around and chat about our girl, but I'm afraid you've gotten too close."

"Too close?" Adrian echoed. "What's Sierra to you?"

"What's she to you?" The jerk stormed towards him, reaching for something under his jacket.

Adrian whipped out his silver knife and crouched into a fighting stance. The motion and weapon snagged his attacker's attention long enough to make him pause. When they made eye contact again, he saw his opponent flinch.

"What the hell? How do you have green eyes too?"

"Doesn't matter," Adrian snapped. "Who are you?"" He shivered at the smirk he received.

"I'm Zeke...Sierra's brother."

Adrian stared at the man claiming to be his mate's brother. The crescent birthmark made sense now, as did the comment about family business. If this really was Sierra's brother, he no doubt felt that he should have received the alpha power. Revenge alone was enough to drive someone to kidnapping. And if he wanted the alpha power, he'd have to kill Sierra.

The only shred of comfort was that Adrian's eyes were clearly still green and he didn't feel the heart-wrenching loss of his mate. She was still alive somewhere.

"Where is she?" he growled.

Zeke snarled and pulled out his own silver knife. "Not happening."

A surge of heat flared through his chest as Zeke lunged forward. He dodged the blow faster than he'd ever moved. In a heartbeat, he and Zeke were locked in a hand-to-hand fight to the death. Zeke blocked every punch and dodged every knife slash. He was strong, skilled, and tactful. His only flaw was that he was half a second slower. Even without alpha power, he put up one hell of a fight.

They tumbled to the ground, Zeke on top with his knife diving toward Adrian's throat. A flash of heat sparked lightning-fast reflex. Adrian grabbed Zeke's wrist and jerked to the side. Zeke barely flinched as his body hit dirt. In a second, Adrian was on top holding his knife to Zeke's throat. The pup snarled and thrashed as the silver left a burn mark on his skin.

"Stay down!" Adrian barked. "You're done!"

Zeke snarled before his body began to tremble. In a heartbeat, he shifted under the knife. Adrian jumped backwards, shifting midair. As Zeke shook himself, Adrian tried a desperate mind link.