Chapter 26

I flinched as my brother's spit hit my face. He inherited that trait from Daddy, excess spit when he was angry. I'd lost track of how long he'd been grilling for details about the pack. If he'd simply wanted tips to make his own group better, that would have been a much different discussion. No, he wanted to know how things ran so he could take over smoothly.

There were some traces of Mom in him... the blonde streaks in his hair, the crow's feet laugh lines at the corners of his eyes, high cheek bones. Okay, there was a lot of Mom in him. Too bad he never knew her to pick up her sweet nature and personality.

"What am I missing, dear sister?" he snarled. "Why are you staring at me?"

I decided to be honest. "I can see bits of Mom in you. I don't remember much, but I remember enough to see what you inherited from her."

Now it was his turn to flinch. "Let me guess. I have her eyes?"

"No," I shrugged, choosing to sidestep the alpha-eyes conversation as long as possible. "Her eyes were a bland gray color that picked up the color of her shirt."

"I thought you said you didn't remember much. How do you remember a detail that small?" He braced his hands on the armrests of the chair he'd tied me to, towering over me.

"She had purple eyes one day, and it was kind of freaky for me. The next day, her eyes were blue. A detail like that is not something you forget." I met his gaze full on, knowing my green eyes would fire him up to getting to the point.

"Right. Then let's talk about a green detail I won't forget." He pointed to my face. More specifically, to my eyes. "Explain to me how this happened."

I finally started to panic, now facing the conversation I feared the most. Even before I knew I had a brother, the thought of a challenge to my right as alpha shook me to the core. Sure, no one had done it and no one planned to. My kin was the only one who could rightfully challenge me.

"How is it that you inherited our father's position? Hm? You're a girl, so I should have been next in line."

"You know that's not how it works," I countered. "Birthright or birth order... It wasn't in my control. I woke up with green eyes, okay? Daddy never told me that I was next. I thought our Beta would step in, just like a normal pack. I was just as surprised as you are now."

"Really? How did the Beta take it?" he growled. "Did he challenge you?"

"He didn't like it," I lied. "He hasn't challenged me because he seems to know something I don't. I didn't ask for any of this!"

He threw his head back and laughed. The sound sent shivers through my body. My wolf had been silenced somehow, probably with a non-lethal dose of silver nitrate. The bastard was a master of pain and torture. If I could access my alpha power, he'd be as good as dead.

"You didn't ask for the power, but you sure are enjoying it. Right? Let me guess: the guys are lining up outside your door each night." He traced a finger along my jaw. "No doubt they all want a chance to be the alpha's baby daddy. Any of them lucky enough?"

Every fiber of my body flared to life. The rage turning my blood to fire came from so many thoughts and emotions. The idea of cheating on Adrian, of even entertaining the idea... It sickened me.

Zeke's gazed flickered over my body, returning to my stomach area multiple times. He stared in that direction for a long time, almost as if he was pretending to have ultrasound vision. When he cocked his head to one side, I looked around for whatever he could be listening for. Nothing.

"I guess someone was lucky enough," he snarled. "Unfortunately, my guess is that it's your co-alpha mate. Now that it's no longer just you, I'll have to alter my plans a bit."

I froze as his words registered in my brain. Not just me... What is he...

My stomach fluttered a little, and my jaw dropped. I knew what he'd been listening for now. Closing my eyes, I blocked everything else out and listened to the faint sound coming from somewhere deep in my womb.

Ta-tum. Ta-tum. Ta-tum.

Zeke burst out laughing as I gasped in shock. This wasn't happening. This wasn't how I should find out about this! If Adrian didn't find a way to save me, he'd never...

Something crashed outside, triggering multiple shouts and a scurry of activity. Zeke froze mid-laugh and glanced at the door. I tried zoning in on the voices but my wolf senses were dampened. I couldn't pinpoint anything.

"Well, this is no fun." Zeke snapped the ties around my wrists and ankles before yanking me out of the chair. He dragged me to a room in the back, kicked the door open, and pulled me inside. Besides the cement walls and floor, the room was bare.

"I have some business to take care of before I take your alpha power." He tightened his grip on my arm and pulled a syringe out of his coat. "Nothing personal, sis."

"You wouldn't dare," I hissed.

A sharp sting in my neck muted any further threats could come to mind. The outer edges of my vision blurred and my fingers numbed. Oh, he wouldn't...

Zeke caught me as my body slumped forward. "Dad never saw his end coming. He was in full power and barely fought back. You, however, will be a much easier kill now that your devotion is divided. And I'd like you to see it coming. Sleep well, sis."

I was able to mutter 'bastard' before the darkness took over.

------------------------------------------------------

Eek! What'd you think of the pregnancy bombshell? Do you think the baby will change Zeke's mind?

Do you think she'll be rescued in time? Btw, where is her wolf all this time!?!