Chapter 30

I knew Adrian's obsessive protection would spike through the roof once he learned there were two of us to protect. Honestly, the thought of him devoting even more time and attention to me set my wolf howling and trembling with happiness. He'd probably put me on house arrest for the last couple months and smother me to annoyance, but at least I could count on him to be there for me every step of the way.

We were snuggled on the couch watching yet another episode of 'Chicago Med'. Since I was going to eventually be a moody, hormone-spiked she wolf, he was already surrendering to my little whims and scattered thoughts. Even though I was barely a month into my 4-month pregnancy (our double alpha bloodlines speeds up the process and intensifies everything), my mate seemed confident that I was already subject to the full moodiness and emotional fragility of full term.

"What do you think of Lena if it's a girl?" Adrian toyed with my hair as he mused to himself, not paying any attention to the beautiful romantic drama on the TV. "Or maybe Claire? Zoe? Sasha?"

I rolled my eyes and nestled my cheek on his bare chest. One thing that I quickly discovered was that Adrian's scent, body heat, and skin instantly calmed me and my wolf. With a pup on the way, my wolf was full-out alpha momma mode. She was jumpy and freaked at every little thing. When she started to get out of control, touching my mate's skin and inhaling as much of his scent as I could would calm her down.

Not that I complained about snuggling with my sculpted, muscled, heat-radiating, gorgeous, protective, glorious, sexy...

"You're not listening to a thing I'm saying, are you?" he chuckled. "Is this show really that exciting?"

I tilted my head to look up at him. "I've been waiting for nearly two seasons for Manning and Halstead to get together. They're finally dropping the excuses and pretenses. It's romantic drama at its finest."

He scrunched up his nose at me. "I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I?" When I merely stared back at him as a reply, he sighed and hugged me tighter. "I'm sorry. I didn't think I'd ever have this, and now that I do... It's everything I ever dreamed of and more. I get carried away sometimes."

I shrugged and turned back to the TV. "We can talk about names in a couple months. I'm still getting used to the idea of being pregnant, let alone being a mom."

"You're going to be fabulous," he whispered into my hair.

"You've mentioned that..." I reminded him. "I have all the moral support I can ask for."

We sat in silence after that, him in his thoughts and me glued to the show. There was a lot to process about our future, and I wasn't about to wander into it right now.

"Alphas, I..." Jaxon ran into the room from the direction of his Beta wing. He skidded to a halt beside the couch, dipping his head in respect.

Part of me was severely annoyed that my show would have to wait. My wolf was annoyed that our cuddle time was being rudely interrupted. I knew that Jaxon would run in on us like this unless there was something deeply important or critical. Especially now that he'd found his mate, he didn't leave Ada's side unless Beta duties demanded it.

Adrian paused the TV and motioned for Jaxon to sit on the other couch. "What's wrong, Jaxon? Did something happen?"

Jaxon rubbed his hands together. "We're not entirely sure, but I wanted to bring it to your attention as soon as possible."

I squirmed into a more comfortable position and tried to read the emotions swirling in his mind. The pack link was buzzing with activity but nothing that seemed alarming.

"What do you mean?" The question popped out of my mouth before I could stop it. I told myself time and again to let Adrian take the lead, but my stubborn alpha wolf wouldn't let it go. She liked being in charge and made her presence known far too often.

"There was a small skirmish on the far east border," Jaxon explained. "Nothing threatening or large scale, just a few rogues trying to cross into our territory."

"We deal with trespassing rogues all the time," Adrian chimed in. "Why are these any different?"

Jaxon took a minute to mentally sort his words before answering. "We believe these rogues used to be with Zeke's group. They bore his branding mark on their wrists and seemed to know exactly whose territory they were approaching."

An icy ball clenched my stomach and sent shivers down my arms. The snake who dared to call himself my brother was still threatening my happiness, even after death. Was there no end to his villainy?

Adrian tightened his hold around my shoulders. "You think there's another attack coming?"

"I don't know," Jaxon growled. "But that's why I wanted to let both of you know. It could be nothing, but we should be prepared just in case it is something." He rose to his feet and dipped his head. "Alphas..."

"Thank you, Jaxon," I murmured, quietly dismissing him while drowning in my thoughts.

It was possible that Zeke could have planned something in case he died, or maybe just another attack no matter what happened to him. Maybe his group just scattered without him, and an unlucky few decided to try joining our pack. There were too many unanswered questions and far too many variables. We needed to know what was coming, not just for the pack but for the future little alpha tucked inside me.

"Hey."

I jumped when Adrian's hand caressed my stomach, mostly because I hadn't expected it. He squeezed my shoulder as I calmed down and waited until I met his gaze.

"We're going to sort all of this out. I promise. Nothing is going to hurt you or our baby." He pressed a kiss to my forehead and reached for the remote. "Let's finish this ridiculous show of yours. Then, you should get some rest. If I know you, you're going to be all wound up tomorrow and the stress won't be good for either of my little alphas."

I nodded in agreement, snuggling back into his chest as the show resumed. However, even the romantic climax of the episode couldn't completely distract me from the lingering shadows cast by my brother.