Epilogue

Three Months Later

Adrian jerked awake, his mate's pained cries echoing across their mind link while her physical pain flooded his body. He scrambled out of his tent and barked for Jaxon to wake up. This last-minute scouting trip had been a mistake. What had he been thinking, leaving Sierra alone? If anything happened to her because he wasn't there to protect her, he'd never forgive himself.

"Jaxon!"

His beta flew out of his own tent, fully awake and alert for anything. "What's wrong?"

"Something wrong with Sierra. I can't tell what exactly, but she's in a lot of pain. We have to get back there." He yanked his shirt over his head, preparing to shift. Jaxon followed suit, staring off while he mink linked with his own mate. In a matter of seconds, they were both a pair of boxers away from shifting.

"Ada says there's no attack. All seems normal in the house. Maybe..."

"Maybe what?" Adrian flinched as Jaxon's face scrunched. "Maybe what, Jaxon!?!"

"Maybe she's going into labor?"

Another wave of pain ripped through Adrian's body, specifically through his lower abdomen. Everything made sense, which only made it worse that he was out here in the woods and not there with her.

"Move!"

They jumped into the air and shifted, the wind rippling through their fur. They took off running at full speed, their paws thundering over the ground. The trees whipped by, everything blurring together as they flew back towards the pack house. Every couple of minutes, Adrian stumbled as a bolt of pain tore through his body.

His wolf senses picked up the screams a couple of miles from the house. Each step brought him closer and made the screams louder. He growled and dug his toes into the dirt to move faster. The sooner he reached her side the sooner he'd feel better about everything.

When they reached the edge of the woods, he shifted and grabbed a pair of sweats from one of their stashes. Jaxon had barely finished shifting when Adrian was running for the back door. He slowed down just enough to open the door instead of crashing through it.

"Sierra!"

Her answering scream echoed off the marble walls. He took off running up the stairs, heading straight for their bedroom. Her frantic heartbeat led him straight to her, even with her screams adding a bit of confusion. Their normally calm and peaceful home seemed upended and thrown into complete chaos.

"Sierra, breathe!" Ada's command filled the hallway as he approached.

Adrian burst into his bedroom to find his mate soaking wet in the middle of their bed. Ada sat next to her, holding her still and mopping her forehead. The pack doctor scurried around, placing towels and various medicines on the desk that had been dragged to the foot of the bed. Everyone else faded out as he zoned in on his mate.

Her emerald green eyes flashed around the room, finally landing on his face. She sagged in Ada's arms, tears running down her face.

"Adrian..." Her voice cracked as she grimaced against another wave of pain.

He ran to her side and all but tossed Ada to the floor. "I'm here, baby. I'm right here."

#

Nothing I'd been told about the pain of childbirth had prepared me for this. Every part of my body burned and spasmed. I could feel my stomach tearing itself open. This little pup who is supposed to be the best thing that ever happened to me was going to be the death of me!