Chapter 22

I jerked awake, my wolf was howling bloody murder. My skin burned and my veins tingled something fierce. Every part of me was sparking to life and driving me towards something. The dark room didn't offer any clues either.

"Sierra." Adrian nudged me with his elbow and sat up next to me.

"Yeah, I'm awake," I muttered. "Did you wake up suddenly too?"

Adrian threw the covers off both of our bodies. "Our alpha instincts are on high alert. There's a threat to the pack, and our wolves are driving us into action. We need to go."

"Yep." I jumped out of bed and scrambled to the closet to find something to wear. My wolf could see through the darkness, so I didn't bump into anything. In record time, I'd changed into black joggers and a black long sleeve shirt with reflective stripes on the sleeves. When I emerged from the closet, Adrian was strapping on a belt with multiple thin blades attached to it.

"You ready?"

"How long have you had silver wolfsbane knives in our room?" I squeaked, not really caring about how close they were to his leg.

"...since the first rogue crossed the border after we announced our joint alpha roles," he answered bluntly, holding out his hand to me. "We can talk more about it later, but we need to see what's happening out there."

I yanked my boots on and ran across the room to meet him at the door. Sparks flew when our hands touched, and we both jumped at the explosive sensation. We held each other's gaze for half a second before running into the hall.

Jaxon and Ada met us at the bottom of the stairs, both decked out in fighting gear. Jaxon held a thick bar that glowed, kinda like a big glowstick. It was too risky to turn on overhead lights during a night attack, so we kept a stash of old-fashioned lanterns and glowsticks around the pack house for such emergencies. All in all, the pack was prepared for almost anything.

"What do we know?" Adrian growled to his beta, keeping his voice low.

Jaxon glanced around the foyer before answering. "We don't really know. There was a report of several rogues trying to cross our borders, and when patrol went to capture them they turned almost rabid. They shifted and started viciously attacking. While patrol was capturing them, another half a dozen rogues rushed across the border and vanished from sight. We don't know where they are."

Adrian's grip on my hand tightened as a growl rumbled deep in his throat. "Did any of the captured ones say what their mission was or who was in charge?"

Jaxon pulled Ada closer, tucking her against his side. "They only said that their leader would get what he wanted and that no one would stand in his way."

A hair-raising snarling match filled the air, soon joined by the snapping of teeth and thumping of bodies crashing together. I cringed and huddled closer to Adrian. My wolf wasn't cowering like I was. In fact, she was rigid on high alert and ready to pounce at a moment's notice.

"It's getting closer to us," Ada whimpered.

"We need to gather the fighters and draw them out." Adrian's plan snapped me to attention. Draw them out?

"We should separate them into different locations," Jaxon amended. "If we split up and go in different directions, their strength will be divided. It will be easier to take them down and get answers."

Adrian nodded to that. "Sierra and I will go north. You two can—"

"No," I cut in, causing everyone to stare at me. "If the two alphas go together, and we're killed, then they win. It's too easy. Adrian and I need to split."

"No," Adrian growled, yanking me into his arms and holding fast. "I'm not leaving you when you're the main target. We stay together."

Over-protective, smothering, lovesick alpha puppy! my wolf snarled.

"Sierra's right," Jaxon argued. "The two of you together is an easier target. The other half of the group won't matter if the first half kill you both. Sierra and I will go north. Adrian and Ada will go south. It's an even match split on both sides."

"Please don't leave me," Ada cried into his shoulder.

I lifted my chin to meet Adrian's withering gaze. He stared at me long and hard, clearly searching for a reason to argue our plan. When he couldn't find one, he sighed in defeat and crashed his lips onto mine. The sparks definitely flew while our wolves prepared for the separation and battle ahead.

We slowly pulled apart after a minute, but I buried my face in his neck to drink in as much of him as I could. I knew that we had to do this, but that didn't mean it was going to be easy. Mates usually went into a fight together, drawing on their bond to make them stronger against their enemy. Adrian and I could still draw on each other and our never-ending super alpha power, but we just couldn't be side-by-side doing it.

"Keep your mind link open," he whispered against my ear. "Even if we're not talking, I'll feel better knowing that we're in touch somehow."

I choked on my answer. "We...can't. It's too dangerous. Neither one of us can get distracted."

"Please don't go dark on me, Sia," he pleaded. "This is going to be torture for me as is."

I jumped as two wolves tumbled across the back patio, claws ripping into fur and fangs snapping into limbs. We needed to move now.

"Okay," I promised. "Mind links open."

Adrian pulled my head back to give me another searing, toe-curling kiss. "I love you, and I'll see you on the other side."

I nodded and kissed him back. "I love you."

We forced our bodies to move apart as Jaxon and Ada did the same. For half a moment, we all stared at each in silent agreement of what needed to happen. With tiny whimpers, Ada and I switched "partners" for the time being. Jaxon and Adrian shared secret looks and nods, no doubt promising to keep each other's mates safe.

"Let's move," Adrian growled.

--------------------------------------

EEEEE..... Things are getting tense around here! Any thoughts as to who might be going after Sierra's alpha title?

I have later parts of the story written, so I'm currently writing the action to get me up to the part I've already written. Once I get there, there will be a whole bunch of updates at once!