things we felt; affection

New One Direction Interview here!

I'm beginning to appreciate the paparazzi. Paparazzi means that Niall and I have to pretend to be close. They mean that we have to appear boyfriends. Being in public, something that used to be difficult and annoying, is now the highlight of my day. I never knew cameras could be so comforting.

It's been three weeks since Niall's apology date, and it's been three weeks since Liam's lecture. It's been twenty one days, exactly. I usually can't remember dates to save my life; I forgot Louis' birthday last year, and it's Christmas Eve! But, I have been selfishly counting all the days that I get with Niall.

I've realized something, too.

All of this, everything that the public thinks Niall and I have- it isn't going to last. All relationships either end in a breakup or marriage, and then eventually death, of course. We can't get married. I don't want to get married. Niall wouldn't want to be living that much of a lie. So, eventually, we're going to break up. Our fake relationship is going to end.

I need to take advantage of every moment I've got, before I wake up and, we're suddenly back to hating each other. I've thought about what it would be like once we split. Would we be friends now? Would we ignore each other- the fact that I'm into him too obvious for comfort? I don't know, and that unknown, frankly, worries me.

Sure, Niall annoys the hell out of me. He chews with his mouth open sometimes. He always talks with his mouth full. He laughs at things I don't find funny. He's loud, obnoxious, and overall, he's a seven year old boy. Occasionally, being with him is like you're babysitting a toddler. He can't drive to save his life. He forgets to brush his teeth, especially at night. When he finds something that irritates you, he'll continue to do it until you either scream or leave. He says he likes Louis more than he likes me. He makes stupid faces at the most inappropriate times. He's utterly immature. But, honestly? It's what makes him fun.

"Hey." Louis snaps his fingers in front of my face, and I zone back in on the conversation we were originally having.

"Yeah?"

"What were you doing off in La La Land?" He asks me, going back to making breakfast. I spent the night with him, because in his words, 'For being best friends, you never talk to me anymore.' (He was at my place two days ago.)

"I wasn't in La La Land." I say, running my finger over the edge of my glass.

"What were you doing in Niall Land, then?" Louis teases me, and I duck my head. I don't regret coming clean with Louis last week, but he hasn't really let me forget it.

"I wasn't there either."

"Mate, you should know by now that I prefer people fawning over me out loud. No need to sit quietly and think about me."

"Is there a point to this conversation?"

"I was bored, and you were beginning to drool. Figured I'd stop you before you turned my kitchen into a swimming pool." He explains, putting the container of blueberries back into his fridge.

"I don't drool."

"Keep telling yourself that, Harry. Keep telling yourself that. Hey, did Nick call you about playing Call Or Delete? He wanted me to do it, but I'm with Eleanor that day."

"That early?"

"You don't know my life." Louis wiggles his eyebrows, and I laugh.

"When you give me that look, I don't think I want to know your life."

"I'll tell you anyway. Eleanor and I will be getting rather-"

"Louis. Stop. There is absolutely no reason to be vulgar right now."