xiv. PARALYTIC CRYSTALS

CHAPTER FOURTEENPARALYTIC CRYSTALS

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
PARALYTIC CRYSTALS

"I'm telling you," I told Stiles as I balanced the lap top on my knees. "There is literally nothing about a kanima. If this thing has existed long enough for the Argents to have it written in Latin, it's done a pretty damn good job of hiding itself."

I was currently sitting criss cross on the hazel-eyed boy's bed, his lap top opened up in front of me. We had gotten back from school, just starting to dry off. He had taken me back to his place. Stiles had given me some of his clothes and I was now dry in a pair of old sweats and a worn shirt. He, on the other hand, was shifting slightly in his desk chair every few seconds, multiple mythology books open in front of him. We had been researching this thing since we got back, on his demand that we get some background knowledge on this thing. Derek's little insight wasn't all that great.

But now as we read multiple websites and books, I'm not all that surprised that Derek has no clue about this thing besides what he told us.

"There has to be something, anything," Stiles muttered, flipping through pages in the book. "Are you sure you're spelling it right?"

"Stiles we've been through the spelling formality eight times in the past ten minutes," I deadpanned. "We've been doing this for an hour. There's absolutely nothing about a kanima."

"But we have to find something!" he exclaimed. "We don't know what we're up against. We need some kind of advantage over this thing."

"Well, it's afraid of itself because it doesn't know who it is, it's a shape shifter and ours can't swim," I noted. Joking, I added, "Maybe we should just chill by large bodies of water for the rest of our days."

He shot me a look. "Just keep looking."

Rolling my eyes, I went back to the search engine. I had literally tried everything. Kanima, kanima legend, kanima shape shifter and giant lizard who can't swim. Literally next to nothing had popped up. There were no sightings, no stories or legends. Derek said he'd heard stories. Clearly they weren't from the internet. The bestiary was still opened on Stiles' laptop, the weird words filing the screen. They meant absolutely nothing to me. And I knew that any online translator wouldn't help considering that they couldn't even do my French homework properly.

I sighed and tried a few more combinations of words. After a while, one website stuck out. I bit my lip and clicked on it. Dear God, please let this be my ticket out of this boredom. I mean, I wanted to be figuring all this kanima stuff out too, but there were other things I'd rather be doing with my free time.

My eyes scanned the text on the page. Nothing about a lizard, but instead a were-jaguar Well, it wasn't about a lizard, but this might be a start. I looked across the site for anything relating to a lizard. If this were-jaguar could also come in different forms. There was absolutely nothing in relevance to the creature we had at hand but I had a feeling that this was the only thing we were going to find.